LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manimishmm (none)     07 April 2016

I am a divorcee, but do not want 'divorced' in passport

Please, this is important. I'd appreciate answers from experts in the immigration field. 

I got divorced in 2013. I have since started over or am atleast trying to start over. However, one of the things I wanted to initiate was application for a passport. 

When I called up the passport customer support, they said that my marital status will be 'divorced'. That scares me a little. That it will follow me around all my life. (it was an extremely violent marriage which included broken bones) I'd like to start over, and it would be terrible if one human being can still keep affecting me for the rest of my life. 

It is a traumatizing thought. I don't see why I have to advertise it to everyone, except my future partner. 

I'm applying with my maiden name as my name was not officially changed when I got married (we separated after two very violent weeks). 

However, My ex had forced me to apply for my aadhar card with my maiden name and then a.k.a with his surname. But because aadhar process was started over so many times, they asked me to re-apply, but by that time, I was divorced so i did not need to use my ex-husband's surname. So now they have duplicates and it is being sorted. But they always have delays.

Meantime, my question is, Can I apply for my passport without 'divorced' as my status and while my aadhar issue is still being sorted out (again, not my fault). 

Please, I'm afraid to apply. With my luck, it'll run into trouble, if anything. whih I want to avoid at all costs. Re-applying is difficult, I heard. 

Please please help me.

Learning

5 Replies

NANDKUMAR B SAWANT (ADVOCATE./LAWYER)     08 April 2016

KINDLY NOTE THAT

1. YOU MAY FILE A WRIT PETITION TO THE HIGH COURT AND  YOU MAY MENTION ALL FACTS AND MAKE PROPER PRAYES IN YOUR PETITION AND SEEK  FOR DIRECTIONS TO THE RELEVENT AUTHORITIES

YOU WILL SUCCEED. .GOOD LUCK.

N.B.SAWNAT.,M.COM.LL.B.ADVOCATE HIGH COURT.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     08 April 2016

With due sympathetic view to UR trauma, it is legally wrong to suppress any material facts relating to UR marital life while applying for passport. U R divorced and past has to be forgotten to lead a new life, but regarding some aspects U have to mention it till U get remarried.

JustAdvisor (IT)     22 April 2016

you may file a writ petition in either HC or SC. ..if it goes in your favour it will be a landmark case for all divorced women (and even men). you can pray that under article 21 of constitution of India, right to life includes right to live with dignity. the passport authorities may be directed to state the status as "Single" instead of "Divorced". engage an able counsel. Best of luck!

advocatepassy@gmail.com 971794 (Advocate)     26 November 2016

There is no legal backing to write your name as Mrs. Miss, Ms or Divorcee.  Only your name, parents name and spouse name(if you are married at the time of application) is to be filled up.  No one can write your marital status on your passport 

Deepu Jose (Cordinator)     12 February 2017

I don't see why you can't apply as 'Single' once you are divorced? The fact that you are out of a marriage only signifies that. Nobody other than your future husband in the event you get married has any legal right to know your martial status. Please don't file anything in High court / Supreme and give unwanted business to lawyers. A simple affidavite if required anywhere atmost though can't see why anyone has to ask for it.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register