LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Navin Talati   09 February 2016

Authentic copy of service book

This is  regarding Service Matters pertaining to the Gujarat state Government.

Is the retiring/retired govt. employee entiled to get an Authentic Certified Copy of his own SERVICE-BOOK  from his employer govt. department ?

A copy of service-book is most useful to the pensioner for future in case of any ambuguities arises or any problems created by his employer govt. office.

Under which Rule or G.R. the office is supposed to issue him such copy?

Please feel free for any further detail if required.

Thanking  you in anticipation.

Navin Talati / 09-02-2016

Learning

5 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     09 February 2016

In central Govt provision of GFR is as under :- Service Book : Rule 257 (1) Detailed Rules for maintenance of Service Books are contained in SR 196 to 203. Service Books maintained in the establishment should be verified every year by the Head of Office who, after satisfying himself that the services of Government servants concerned are correctly recorded in each Service Book shall record the following certificate “Service verified from ......(the date record from which the verification is made)........... upto .........(date).............” . (2) The service book of a government servant shall be maintained in duplicate. First copy shall be retained and maintained by the Head of the Office and the second copy should be given to the government servant for safe custody as indicated below :- (a) To the existing employees - within six months of the date on which these rules become effective. (b) To new appointees - within one month of the date of appointment. (3) In January each year the Government servant shall handover his copy of the Service Book to his office for updation. The office shall update and return it to the Government Servant within thirty days of its receipt. (4) In case the Government servants’ copy is lost by the government servant, it shall be replaced on payment of a sum of Rs. 500/-. Look for similar provision in Gujarat Govt.

Dr Katta Venkata Rama Krishna (Retd Sr Director Govt of India/ Advocate)     09 February 2016

1) Agreed with the afore said opinion and the rule position of the expert.  While in service the Government Offices follow the similar procedure may be verified from ur Service Rules/ FRs.

2) The service book after retirement may not be of much help.  PPO issued after retirement, the pensioner copy contains the details required at post retiral stage.  The basic pension is fixed on the basis of salary drawn during the last year of retirement with commutation details etc. all of which are mentioned in PPO.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     10 February 2016

Yes PPO contains all details at the time of retirement. If any beenfit affecting pension is accrued later on then revised PPO is issued or corigendum is made. Service book may be needed if one feels that proper calculation of pension has not been done. Nothing wrong in keeping a copy of Service Book.

Navin Talati   10 February 2016

Thanks to all for your valued replies.

Actually my office head is saying that there is not any provision to give a Certified and Authentic copy of Service-Book to the retired person.

Here, the Certification and Authenticity of the document is very important. They have not given it to me even during the service.

You are also true that PPO is mostly sufficient, but to the best of my knowledge, the issues like pay fixation etc. before retirement and during the service span, it is the only Service-Book which could be considered as the final legal document and the employer is suppose to give it to the person concerned if he requests after retirement. the request could not be denied as I believe.

So under which specific rule of Gujarat State Government (GCSR-2002 etc), I can ask for my S.B.?

Please guide and help me.

Regards to all.

Navin Talati / 10-02-2016

HHM Bhudia   21 October 2017

GR RULES FOR SERVICE RECORDS

https://financedepartment.gujarat.gov.in/Documents/CH_94_24-Sep-2008_294.pdf

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register