LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sunil (accounts asst)     15 January 2016

Maintenance related

My wife has filed a domestic violence complaint against me and my family including my uncles I was working in a software company and earned 40000 pm 1 year before now I am working in a different field and earning 15000 pm my father has a partnership business with my uncle shares of partners are defined and separate income tax returns are filed she has mentioned their names in dv case we are living at different places in the same town My wife is demanding share from my uncles income also she is also claiming that jwellery which we gave her in marriage is given by her father I can produce bills for the same will she succeed can my uncles make deals regarding their own property in which me or my father don't have any share?

Learning

3 Replies

sunil (accounts asst)     15 January 2016

Thank you I was also surprised by reading the petition she filed she is very selfish and may claim share of property from Mr Ratan Tata and Ambanis.

Dr Katta Venkata Rama Krishna (Retd Sr Director Govt of India/ Advocate)     15 January 2016

SC judgment of Batra vs Batra which clarified that mother-in-law’s house couldn’t be claimed to be shared household under DV Act by daughter-in-law.

1) Daughter-in-law cannot assert her rights, if any, in the property of her parents-in-law wherein her husband has no right, title or interest. She cannot continue to live in such a house of her parents-in-law against their consent and wishes.

2) Even an adult son or daughter has no legal right to occupy the self acquired property of the parents; against their consent and wishes. A son or daughter if permitted to live in the house occupies the same as a gratuitous licensee and if such license is revoked, he has to vacate the said property, the bench said.

3) While the daughter-in-law cannot claim in in-laws any property at this stage, what to talk of the shares arising out of partnership of your uncles.

4) Any dowry given by her parents, jewellery, furniture, belongings covering stridhan are her own absolute property must be returned to her, better under proper acknowledgement in the presence of two outside witnesses.

5) In regard to maintenance place the facts before the court and seek relief stating reduction in salary.The court however decides taking into account the total earnings on both sides, the standard of living the husband gave to wife when lived together and various other factors.

Sidharth   15 January 2016

Dear Sunil,

Your wife is only yours responsibility not your familys'

Base of granting maintenance is

only yours monthly income in hand

( MINUS) Your liabilities

( MINUS) Your personal needs

You can file discharge application on behalf of your uncles if your wife have not lived in joint family with them.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register