LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chetan   09 January 2016

Property

My marriage was registered in Goa. My wife gave suicide threats many times and I have proof of it. I also got a property in Bangalore which was purchased before marriage. The property is only in my name.  When I go for a divorce, does my wife have any share in the property which I bought earlier? If yes, are there any ways to avoid or minimize that from happening?

Thanks in Advance.

Learning

7 Replies

ROHIT SHARMA (Legal Advisor )     09 January 2016

1. unless you are unable to pay the alimony then the court may authorize the auction of such property of yours and out of the proceeds you can pay the alimony money. The house cannot be transferred in her name.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     09 January 2016

No legally she has no right on your property she can not claim any share in your any property either you had brought it before or after your marriage, during your lifetime she can claim any right only in one condition she can claim if you died intestate otherwise she cannot .

No legally she has no right on your property she can not claim any share in your any property either you had brought it before or after your marriage, during your lifetime she can not claim any right only in one condition she can claim if you died intestate otherwise she cannot .

No legally she has no right on your property she can not claim any share in your any property either you had brought it before or after your marriage, during your lifetime she can not claim any right only in one condition she can claim if you died intestate otherwise she cannot .

Chetan   09 January 2016

Thanks for your quick answers. Some of the sites mention that the law in Goa is a bit different, please refer this link https://www.saffronart.com/real-estate/goa-a-unique-market.aspx 

Is it something I have misunderstood. Just wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Chetan   09 January 2016

Thank you everyone....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register