Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

venkatesh   03 January 2016

Double passport case: what is the maximum punishment ?

I am from India. In 1997-1998, When I was 18-19 years old, my father got my signatures and applied for a passport in RPO, Chennai. Since it got delayed, he also applied for one in RPO Lucknow, near my place of study. We ended up getting both passports. But my Dad did NOT inform me about it and I knew of only one and was using only one all these 18 years. 
Eventhough there was a delay in us actually receiving the Chennai passport (1st application), the Date of Issue has an earlier date than the second passport. ie I have no way to prove that the first passport application got delayed as its Date of Issue is 6 months before the Date of Issue of the second passport. As My dad passed away in 2007, I cannot find out what was the actual delay that time, which prompted him to apply for another application.

Last week, when I went for renewal of my passport to the Passport Seva Kendra, the passport office enquired abt this Lucknow passport (the second one). Since I had no knowledge of it, I denied holding any other passport. They asked me to search and come back. I searched for it in my fathers belongings and (to my shock) found this Expired Never-used passport. It had expired in 2008. I tooki it to the PSK alongwith a Sworn Affidavit of my explanation. In the affidavit, I mentioned that my father is illiterate and I was only 18-19 years old and the non-mention of the previous passport application while applying for the second one is non-intentional and only due to ignorance. The APO in the PSK read everything and forwarded the file to RPO and asked to me to visit the RPO. I am planning to go to the RPO Chennai next week.

I request your expert opinion on:
1. Is this a crime that can result in imprisonment ?
2. Is this a crime that can result in impounding both my passports or will be granted renewal of my Chennai passport.
3. Even if it is renewed, Will there be any restrictions on my travel using that renewed passport ? (in other words, will there be a black mark on my passport)
4. Will the second passport be impounded or revoked Or can I simply surrender it ? If it will only be impounded, is there any future consequence for having a passport impounded ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register