LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sunita   19 December 2015

Complain about 2nd marriage,a judge,in-laws

I was married into their family and after some fights between me and their family  (started due to my in-laws),  they are trying to find another girl for my husband to get married. It is common in their family to get married twice, many people in their family have 2 marriages (not known before marriage). I was tortured physically and mentally.

We have 3 kids. I want to bring the truths about their family before law. Here is what I want to complain to law authorities, but please help me in clarifying if my case will be taken into account:

1) Two brothers of my husband have married twice and living with both their wives. Is this not against law to marry twice? Can I ask law authories to take actoin on this?

2) One brother in-law is a Judge (District judge). He knows everything, but had not taken any action. He just takes it casually. Is this not wrong? Is he not supposed to take action being a judge himself?

3) My father - in-law was responsible for  finances of a major non-profit organisation. I have seen with my own eyes, when a part of the supplies given for poor was taken and kept by my sister & brother in laws as if it was meant for them.

Can I complain to police on these? Please help me.

Thanks

Sunita

Learning

9 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     19 December 2015

You can't file bigamy cases on your brother in law.

1 Like

A walk alone (-)     20 December 2015

First of all gather evidence of physical tortures n metal torture and file dv on them. Try to gather some evidence like of finding girl for second marriage against your husband it will help you in future . If your husband do second marriage then gather evidence of his second marriage and file bigamy case Against him. Frankly speaking nothing is for you to continue such relationship. Better file mcd n live a peaceful live. Because by filling any case you will only get dates and harassment. Almost our judicial system is corrupted. As your husband family member is in judiciary nothing you will get by filling case.
1 Like

ANUP KUMAR (AVP-LEGAL)     20 December 2015

It is important to ascertain who can file complaint.Regarding 2nd marriage of your husband's brother, I think you have no locus standi to file complaint. The law in this regard is as under:

"Anyone who has witnessed the illegal act can file a case of bigamy either in court or at the police station under section 494/495 of the Indian Penal Code"

1 Like

dowry victim (housewife)     21 December 2015

Sunita, you cannot file cases againat your brothet in laws second marriages because it is not your peoblem. You cannot complain against your judge brother in law again because technically it is not your problem. Regarding misfiNance of the NGO and the utilization of those funds for their ownself, you need to have very very strong evidence. I would suggwst you not to get into this issue, as it will be thougt of only a fake allegation against a beautiful kind hearted Person working for an NGO. It will create an impresssion in the court to the judge that you are just trying to take rwvenge as a daughreri inaw on this saint like person. If it really bothers you, just drop a hint to thw others involved in the NGO and let them take it up without you comming anywhere in the front picture. Regarding your husband second marriage, you cannot file a case of bigamy until he actually marries. You can file a harassment case against your huaband and inlawz as they are mentallyand emotionally harassing you by looking for other girls. You can also file thw DV case. This is a fit case for filing these two cases. Going by what you are saying, i assume they were given dowry as well at the time of marriage. If so, this makes a fit case for DP Act as well. All the best.
1 Like

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     21 December 2015

To which caste or community or religion do they belong,which agrees for 2 marriages?

1 Like

sunita   21 December 2015

Thank you everyone for answering my question. Thats to all for suggesting the ways to go with my current situation. 

@Sri Sainath, They belong hindu's. 

Regards

Sunita

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     21 December 2015

Well how are the first wives agreeing for second marriage of their respective  husbands? Legally it is null and void.

1 Like

sunita   22 December 2015

@ Sri Sainath: The first wives are ok with their husbands second marriage (or rather they have no other option, as the second marriages were done without the first wife's approval). But, they are not complaining. 

Thanks

Sunita

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     23 December 2015

The custom is quite ridiculous,for the wives to bear the whims and fancies of their husbands.But somebody should come out of this family tradition and take the males to task legally.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register