Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ameeth   19 December 2015

Settlement porposal on divorce

______________________Need Assistance ____________

Dear Hon. Members:

I am a petitioner in the Divorce case and it has been going on for last two years. The situation is that I was thrown out of our rental apt one evening as I returned from work and thus they have in their possession all my belongings including my educational certificates and employment related documentation. Now I do not have suffucient docs except xeroxes of the original to gain employment to be able to earn to my full potential. I have been living hand to mouth situation with assistance from friends and family who have literally taken pity on my condition and lend helping hand with money and clothes too. 

Very recently my advocate informed me that they (respondant) is willing to settle the case for the best, as in no maintenance, no DV, and she will sign the divorce papers if I produce the sum of 2 lakhs as full settlement. Yes, 2 lakhs for complete settlement!! 

When I said that I don't have that capability to earn that much and produce it within a month he still pressed on. I asked that she then needs to provide it to me in writing and with approval from Judge that this is how it is going to be, the lawyer says that it has been discussed it in front of the judge and such a word is final there is no turning back, she will not only free you from the cases that she has filed for DV and maintenance but will also return everything that belongs to you.

My argument was that if the matter has been discussed before the Judge in the court it is a 'in-court' settlement and court should not have any issue providing the details of the agreement in writing with Judge's approval.

Can any one on this panel help me understand if this is possible? What am I missing out here? Am I being played with? Should I trust this lawyer of mine? Has the lawyer compromised my situation in anyway? What is the best way to about it?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register