Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

123456   31 October 2015

Marriage cancellation after registration

Dear Sir,

Hi, I got engaged (Registration done) to a girl 6 months back(29th April, 15). Marriage is planned on 3rd march 15. But after the engagement i realized that we are absolutely not compatible. I can't even imagine my life with her. My expectations from my life partner are way too different than what she actually is, so I'm not at all attached to her yet. There wouldn't be any point in marrying if I'm not happy as it would ruin both of our lives. I'm about to cancel the marriage. I have conveyed this to my family and after much debate they have finally agreed to do so. There was no exchange of money neither was any kind of dowry was discussed as me and my family are absolutely against it. The engagement was carried out traditionally and there were around 30 guests. The engagement expenses were bourne by girl's family which I'm ready to pay off in full. I don't see that this break up will be mutual as her family is very orthodox and can't consider calling off marriage after engagement.  I'm ready to apologize to them in whatever manner they want me to. But I don't want any legal repurcussions out of this. I'm an engineer and working in a private organization. Anything legal complication will ruin my career and my family's social esteem. Me and family are very scared of anything such. 

We dont have any physical relationship. Kindly suggest how to cancel this marriage.Any help in this matter is welcome. Thanks.

Learning

4 Replies

Pradeep Bharathipura (Advocate)     31 October 2015

Hi, once the marriage was registered before sub registrar it is deemed to be valid marriage so you have to take divorce before the court as your marriage is not completed one year yet you have to wait one year and thereafter you have to file petition for divorce.

Pradeep Bharathipura (Advocate)     31 October 2015

Hi, once the marriage was registered before sub registrar it is deemed to be valid marriage so you have to take divorce before the court as your marriage is not completed one year yet you have to wait one year and thereafter you have to file petition for divorce.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     31 October 2015

Engaged on 29th April and marriage on 3rd March 2015/clarify.If the query is true rightly adviced by Adv pradeep.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     31 October 2015

Now we are in Nov,2015.  Whether the marriage has taken place in Mar,15 traditionally, and whether you have filed applications for registration only is not known.

In case of NRI marriages, to get VISA, even without traditional religious ceremonies, marriage is being registered, and for that one month time for registration from month of application is required.  If you are a Hindu, marriage with photographs of main three ceremonies like Saptapadi, exchanging garlands and sutradharan, with wedding card, function hall receipt has to be produced/  Every thing depends on facts and the reaction from bride's side.  I feel that you are not coming out with facts, not having physical intimacy after marriage is not a bonafide reason for granting diveroce if marriage is registered and a certificate is given.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register