LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

OldWine007 (Service)     12 August 2015

Ex-party judgement in case u/s 138

I am the complainant of a case u/s 138 which is going for last 1.5 years at Kolkata. The accused did not apper initially for which court had to issue warrant twice. After that, he is attending the court. But resently when the case is in its final stage with only Argument is due, he again disappeared. Warrant is again issued but police has not brought him yet on the scheduled date. Again warrant is issued.

My question is :

01. Can there be an ex-party judgement since case u/s 138 is a document-based case ?

02. If the accused does not appear even after the issue of warrant, am I trapped in a never-ending circle?

03. My lawyer initially said if he appears only for once and thereafter do not appear - ex-party judgement would be given but now after 1.5 years he is saying ex-party judgement is not posibble.

04. My lawyer is telling me to somehow bring the accused to the court and on the argument date using my own effort. I am a common man and how can I bring him in the court though in the begining about 1.5 years back I personally went to the police station to request them to bring him to the court. This is not possible again I presume.

05. By following law  and spending a lot of money and by not following any unlawfull means which could be much cheaper to recover my money - which has been done by the accused's other parties -  have I done any wrong? 

Please help urgently.

Learning

11 Replies

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     16 August 2015

Go for proclamation order against the accused, as he is evading all legal process. You can ask counsel to do the same.

BHRIGU DATTA 9475352677 (PRIVATE PRACTICE)     18 August 2015

there is no provision of exparty for NI act according to cr p c 

Only the person who is authorised to execute the warrant may arrest him but you may tappe him but as soon as you aarest him you should hand over the police 

I do not know why he said so but it is true that there is no provision of exparty

you ask you lawyer to make submision for execute the warrant through any senior officer than OC level as like SDPO ,SP or DCP CP in case of kolkata police .

i can not say anything 

OldWine007 (Service)     18 August 2015

Thank you - both of you. But the initial address of the accused was of Howrah....now he may have been shifted from there.

The PS must reply at least to the court if they can not produce him as per the warrant - isn't it?

Any can this issuing bailable warrant every fortnight upon his not attending or not arrested by police be continued for ever? Can the court declair a non-bailable warrant ? Can the court order a media pubishing of the arrest warrant with photo?

R Trivedi (advocate.dma@gmail.com)     22 August 2015

Yes, yes...He has jumped the bail, first jump may be BW, second absence NBW, third absence strict order to police to bring him, fourth absence PO with photo etc.....your lawyer has to take it up strongly.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 August 2015

Since this is a private criminal complaint, there are no provisions  for exparte order. If court has order BW/NBW, you must pay the process for executing the warrant.  Also since this is a criminal case, there are no chances for recover, if the court convicts him without compensation, you may have to either file a civil recovery suit or stand watching helplessly. 

1 Like

OldWine007 (Service)     24 August 2015

I again thank you - Mr. Trivedi and Mr. Kalaiselvan - for your valuable comments. But one thing I fail to understand - in spite of having documentary evidences by means of the accused's confession in his own handwriting , bounced cheque, following the process as per prescribed time-limit - how I should not have hope to recover my money? And yes - I am paying every bit of the warrant issuing process, even the spped-post charges. Thse expenses is becoming large with every new date from the court. The accused has changed his address and local PS only served the warrant to the address.

(1) Since my lawyer says it is my duty to bring the accused to the court for the 'Argument'; can the court process be suspended temporarily till I locate the accused ?

(2) Can the PS wash their hands by serving the warrant to the address only? If yes, must not they come to the court and make an official statement accordingly?

(3) Is it mandetory that I have to send my lawyer on each date of service reply? Can I being the complainant receive the SR and if the accused taken a bail - again brring my lawyer for the final Argument?

(4) How can I make the police to find him using their machinary? 

(5) Can his disappearance from the date of Argument - where I should place all my evidences collected against him - be concluded as an evidence of his being guilty by the court?

Please help.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 September 2015

1) Since my lawyer says it is my duty to bring the accused to the court for the 'Argument'; can the court process be suspended temporarily till I locate the accused ?

If there is a warrant pending in the court the court will not proceed further in this case in the absence of the accused not appearing before the court.

(2) Can the PS wash their hands by serving the warrant to the address only? If yes, must not they come to the court and make an official statement accordingly?

This being a private complaint, the police will not go beyond the address provided to them for arresting the accused.  If the complainant accompanies the police for a search and  the complainant is able to locate the accused in a different place, then he can  request the police to visit that place and arrest him provided the complainant accompanies the police to that place. 

(3) Is it mandetory that I have to send my lawyer on each date of service reply? Can I being the complainant receive the SR and if the accused taken a bail - again brring my lawyer for the final Argument?

It becomes the duty of your lawyer to represent your case in each and every date  of hearing.

(4) How can I make the police to find him using their machinary? 

You are not the boss of  police to instruct them to use their machinery.

(5) Can his disappearance from the date of Argument - where I should place all my evidences collected against him - be concluded as an evidence of his being guilty by the court?

The court will take care of it during  judgement

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register