Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sreenath   06 June 2015

NEED URGENT HELP HERE ! can i marry my second cousin ?

Hello, can I marry my second cousin ? the girl is my maternal grandmom's sister's daughter's daughter.i'm 22 and she is 21 .We love each other n decided to get married. then someone told me about SAPINDA relations. ! Does our relation come under this ? Me>my mom>grand mom>great grandmom&dad she>her mom>grandmom>great grandmom n dad we both have this great grandmom n dad as common ancestors

Learning

2 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     06 June 2015

Under the Hindu Marriage and Divorce Act, 1955 marriage between sapindas is prohibited. Under the Act sapindas are cousins down to 5th generation on the paternal side and down to 3rd generation on the mother's side. In counting generations the generation of cousins concerned is also included.

UR relationship belongs to the 3rd generation on UR mother's side.Hence not permisable.

Marrying in rhe family affects the progency physically,psychologically and physiologically.It can lead to abnormalities in UR future offsrping.This is because within a family, certain genetic traits remain dormant and are known as recessive genes.When two people having the same genes marry and reproduce,these once dormant genes double,making them more likely to cause genetic abnormalities in children.People who marry within the second and third generation  are more susceptible.            

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     20 August 2015

Marriages in India are not scientific but according to law for its validity.There have been some restrictions imposed in our marriage acts which we have to adhere to.The clause Sapinda has been inserted in our marriage system,according to which some relationships have been debarred from marriage.If Sapinda relationship was legal ,then one could have married his own sister or vice versa.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register