LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vs (student)     12 May 2015

After marriage change of surname and middlename of wife

Dear Lawyersclubindia family members, Greetings to all of you. I have some queries: My arranged marriage has held in Feb., 2015. My surname and my wife's surname and middle name are different. Please let me know that is there any provision of law that for wife there is automatic adoption of husband's surname or not? We are hindus and marriage was arranged. We have not yet tried for marriage certificate. In marriage certificate which surname of wife will prevail? My wife is interested to adopt my surname. Kindly let me know the way that my wife's surname can be changed legally so that in future no mismatch and complexity will remain. She is also applying for further study and various government sector jobs, so which surname she should write in forms? Thanks a lot

Learning

2 Replies

bsrao   13 May 2015

Its your choice. It is a custom to change the wife's surname. By continuing here earlier name does not change anything.

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     13 May 2015

in general practice after marriage its automatically wife can keep his husband surname and continue and in recent time if wife wants to continue with his fathers surname also she can and lot of instances are there

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register