LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     19 March 2015

Addressing the judge "meeru" in telugu

I had a case in consumer forum today and I went to court.  I have been explaining my recent position to Judge in Telugu because the judge feels comfortable being interacted in Telugu rather than in English.  He is a simple person, with native touch and so I had chosen to address him "Meeru" (means equivalent to Aap in Hindi) and explain the case in Telugu.

While I was explaining one Advocate who schizophrenic face sitting at my back interjected and tried to win the attention of Judges (Chairperson and Member) by taking objection to my addressing them "meeru".  My reading seeing his face is he is the kind of person with "schizophrenic mindset" and of the nature of "flunkee" and "minion".  He somehow tried to utilize opportunity in his favor by that objection to win a favorable impression of judges.  As I see him everytime I visit the forum I am of the view that he deals exclusively the consumer forum cases and lives/survives only on that court and so he has a compelling need to be in the good books of judges there. 

After coming out from Courthall I inquired with few Advocates, "meeru ani kaakundaa judgeni telugulo eamani antaaru" (Is there any word other than "Meeru" to address a judge?") for that they replied "there is nothing wrong in calling a judge "meeru", there is no other appropriate word.  But it is clear that there is a section of minions and flunkees in legal community who cannot even bear someone calling a judge "meeru"., seeing what I experienced in court today.

In English we address a judge "My Lord" or "Your Honour".  If we want to translate them into telugu, it will become like "Doragaaru" or "Prabhuvula vaaru".  That kind of addressing is needed?  Aa lekkana "Nee baanchan doraa..." aneadi marinta gouravasoochakamaa? (Does that mean to say in Telugu - Am your slave my Lord is more respectable?)

In my view, the Judges should take the sense in which the expression is made not the form of expression.  Some people in Telangaana say - "Namastanaa...manchigunnavaa?" with a fully authoritative tone.  It (sense) will almost be like making fun of us (how can you be well useless fellow - is the exact sense one gets from that) . Just because there is a humble word called "Namaste" in it will that sound respectable?   It is high time the Court and Legal fraternity gets out of this Schizophrenia of addressing the Judges and learn to "be sensible" rather than thinking "sycophancy pays" and stop intimidating others like me who had no intention of disrespecting the judge in my mind whatsoever.   

Learning

1 Replies

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     19 March 2015

In addressing a judge, my personal view is, we should choose what is suitable for him.    There is no uniform or universal approach in addressing the judges.  Every judge must be addressed according to what he feels comfortable with.  I noticed that this judge converses mostly in Telugu with parties and so I chose not to explain the case in English. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register