Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Env Coord (.)     12 February 2015

Tax queries

Dear Experts,

Kindly resolve my query.I am working in a multi-national company head-quartered in Mumbai.In FY 2013-14,I was paid salary for only 3 months.But my employer(Company) deposited TDS for FY 2013-14 on my salary of 6 months.As for the remaining 6 months,I attended office regularly but the employer neither paid salary for 6 months nor deposited TDS on remaining 6 months salary.

However,in FY 2014-15,the company paid salary of only 6 months,and that too after a delay of 1-2 months from the due date for each month's salary. When I got a copy of Form-16 from my employer for FY 2013-14,I observed that it is totally different from the Form-16 of FY 2012-13.I am not able to understand whether my company has taken into consideration,the interest paid on my home loan during FY 2013-14,as the TDS certificate for FY 2012-13 showed deductions for Interest paid towards home loan,whereas TDS certificate for FY 2013-14 doesn't show that separately.

When I tried to clarify this from the Finance Department of my company,they said that they have done the necessary deductions.But I really doubt that because my people from Finance Dept. of my company resigned during the time when company audit was going-on. Hence,my query is : Can a Taxpayer(employee) verify online or by any other mode whether the employer made necessary deductions for home-loan interest while paying TDS on my salary for FY 2013-14 ?

If my employer has failed to make necessary deductions for interest paid towards home-loan for FY 2013-14,how can an employee(Tax-payer) get it rectified ? What is the limitation period for raising the request for such rectification with the Income-Tax Department ?

Furthermore,my employer has convenient evaded paying 50% of the actual TDS on employees salary for FY 2013-14.Whereas he continues to give us salary for 6 months in FY 2014-15.Kindly let me know whether this is legal? We still haven't been paid salary from October'13 - March'14 for FY 2013-14. Whereas,the employer(Company) has paid our salaries till Dec,2014 for the FY 2014-15. I am very confused what to do next !

Will I be penalized for the delay in payment of taxes for FY 2013-14,even tough the company has defaulted on payment of salaries & depositing TDS on unpaid salary for FY 2013-14 ? Kindly advice.

Your's Thankfully,
Debojit.

Learning

2 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     12 February 2015

The following chart indicates the nature of default and its consequences which range from penal interest, penalty to prosecution:

TDS Defaults2.png

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 February 2015

Learned Advocate has given his opinion very explicitly, you may proceed accordingly or consult your auditor or a local consultant.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register