LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RAHUL GUPTA (MANAGER)     09 October 2014

Validity of emails n civil / criminal court cases

Can EMAIL communication be used as an evidence to prove our stand in Civil Cases . What are the requirements to prove the truthfulness of the EMAILs . One thing I can think would be the .pst ( MS OUTLOOK ) OR .nsf ( LOTUS NOTES )  file created on the local hard disk that holds the EMAILs  in electronic form. 

What else is required to prove our EMAILs in Court 

Regards

RAHUL GUPTA 

Learning

2 Replies

prakash chandra jain (proprietor.)     09 October 2014

mr.gupta. you have raised an important question of law regarding evidentiary value of e- writings.no law is made about it.judge-made law is not at least clear to me.emails are mutually exchanged between twp persons who may turn out to be opponents in civil or criminal cases.section 3-interpretation clause defines the word evidence.by reading, defination of oral evidence, emails are not recorded in court, so it is not oral evidence. act defines word document. but it does not cover such emails.now act adds thatall documents including electronics record produced for the inspection of the court, is a documentary evidence. but i doubt if such E-Record includes emails. but in my humble view, emails may be used as estopells or admissions. prepare hard disc and produce in the court  at its discretions-prakash chandra jain advocate indore.free consultation on-09479848437.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Sunil S Nair (lawyer)     10 October 2014

Yes under IT Act 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register