Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Fight for justice (manager)     30 September 2014

Discharge under 498a/406 (all false cases)

Chargesheet has been filed at MM office under section 498A/406 and we plan to apply for discharge. Summons has been issued but we have not been served as yet (we got copy from court website). Summons says that we have to present ourselves on xxxx date with surety and regular bail.

(i) So when do we apply for discharge - before the date of summons or after that?

(ii) We need copies of the evidence/statements/case diaries to file discharge application. Police has said we will get full judicial file when we present ourselves in court i.e on xxxx date.but if we present ourselves, then will trial process be considered as having started?can discharge be applied after that?

(iii) Since Summons has asked us to bring surety and regular bail, do we still need to do all that if we are applying for discharge? Should not that requirement be put on hold till discharge is decided on?

(iv) Do we have to get the regular bail done (in advance, thru separate application) and then go to court or we have to apply for the regular bail that day? (2 persons have Anticipatory bail and 2 have notice bail).

I would appreciate any guidance you can provide in this matter.

Thank you.

Learning

1 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     06 October 2014

Dear,

Discharge applications are to be applied to the concerned court where you have been asked to present, sureties are required while you present yourself before the court, because bail is a different aspect.

You can apply for a bail in advance or could apply on the same date when you have been asked to present yourself before the court. Discharge applications are generally entertained at the charge framing stage.

Advocate Kapil Chandna

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register