Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Simple mortgage versus equitable mortgage

Dear All,

I have a question.What kind of mortgage does a bank requires a borrower to undergo for securing a loan on property?Does simple mortgage is preferred over an equitable mortgage?If so why?As i know a simple mortgage is to be registered compulsorily and no such registration is required as such for an equitable mortgage.  Still in the case of an equitable mortgage lender obtains a form of legal mortgage executed in his favor, Subsequently, should the lender find it necessary to enforce the security, he can move the court to convert the equitable mortgage into a legal mortgage and get it registered on payment of the prescribed registration fees.Also if both the parties agree, the memorandum in the deposit of title deeds is to operate as document of bargain, then they can get the memorandum in writing registered and it can act as evidence also.

If the power of attorney and the will with respect to the property mortgaged is also registered in the name of the mortgagee to secure the loan amount that means the legal interest is also transferred , then in that case is it still necessary to go for getting mortgage registered as simple?The remedies available to the mortgagee bank is similar in both the cases of simple and equitable mortgage. Isnt it? Is there still something left which the bank considers for securing its interest and which requires it to still go for a simple mortgage only and not equitable one?

Thanks...

Learning

2 Replies

V M DAHAKE (PROPRIETOR)     28 September 2014

Madam,

Stamp duty on legal mortgage and equitable mortgage ( Memorandum of deposit) varies considerably.  There is no stamp duty at all or very nominal duty subject to low ceiling, in some states. Insisting on legal mortgage may put the borrower on guard and good borrowers would not be willing to take extra risk and pay extra stamp duty.

Some banks / NBFCs do insist on Legal Mortgage.

(Guest)

Thanks a lot Mr. Dahake..yes you are absolutely right. Even i also know this .That's why i wonder seeing so much difference in the duty charges, which borrower would like to avail a loan signing simple mortgage deed! Generally for home loans and other LAP ( Loans against property) banks undergo equitable mortgage only...If the legal remedy available to the mortgagee in case of default in payment is same in the case of both the mortgages, then why the bank in some cases on loans on property insist on simple mortgage being signed causing the borrower to pay hefty stamp duty?That looks ridiculous!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register