LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     15 November 2009

Are night courts necessary?

After appointment of judges on contract to deal with the huge backlog of pending cases, the Tripura administration has taken initiative to hold night shift of court in addition to the normal timings, in view of a huge number of pending cases in different courts.  

Should this be implemented in other States too and whether this is workable?

Your comments....

Learning

13 Replies

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     15 November 2009

What is the number of cases being filed every year? Are we honest to admit that the delay is due only to less number of judges? This measure is an eyewash. We are a litigating population and don't believe in forget and forgive. The cases will rise exponentially. All these measures are chicken feed. Has the number of cases filed gone down in any year?

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     15 November 2009

LEGAL REFORMS R BIG PROBLEM TO INDIA. NOBODY SEROIUS ABOUT IT, NO PRACTICAL INITIATION AT ALL,  ALL  R TIME COSUMING . NO SERIOU EFFORTS .AGAIN ONE RAJIV OR PV HAS TO COME TO BRING CHANGES.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     15 November 2009

The number of laws made by legislature is increasing by leaps and bounds. There is no finality even in existing laws which are amended at the drop of a hat. Imagine an ITO handling cases of assessees based on provisions of IT Act which is applicable to one assessee in one year but has been changed the next year. 

They call it the requirement of developing or changing society. End result: crores of cases are piling up. What reforms?

anitha Gutti (Advocate)     16 November 2009

It is a revolutionary step, initially, most of the states won't accept this, many advocates will object it, it takes time to accept by the lawyers and court staff.  We have to wait and see...........

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     16 November 2009

in Punjab Evening Courts have been introduced today....i.e. on 16th of Nov. 2009 and today itself the lower court lawyers have gone on strike.

for the time being Traffic Challans have been transferred, but subsequently S.138 matters will be transferred and finally all the matters with summary procedure will be transferred.

m unable to understand when the judges will read the cases, law and when will they apply their mind....better would be if the no. of judges are increased.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     16 November 2009

Will it usher in revolution?

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     12 December 2009

Many Jurist in the country have voiced out their concern for the needs of night court or morning court to deal with pending cases.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     12 December 2009

Our mindset does not change; at least not easily.

An example.

Currently, India has 88 scheduled commercial banks (SCBs) - 27 public sector banks (that is with the Government of India holding a stake), 31 private banks (these do not have government stake; they may be publicly listed and traded on stock exchanges) and 38 foreign banks. They have a combined network of over 53,000 branches. The number of cooperative banks is 327 (number of branches not known).

Millions of cheques are generated in these banks every day involving extensive spending of scarce resource and use of tonnes of paper by way of filling up of pay-in slips, pinning, separating, filing and creating enormous record.

Time has come when attaching pay-in slips is done away with. Let the cheque holder write his name, address, a/c no., date, telephone no. on the back of the cheque leaf and deposit it with his bank. Cheques should be printed with these details.

Drop box is one innovative way of cutting down on red tape. It would be another by which we would save enormous time, money, energy, paper and hassle.

I WROTE IT TO INDIAN BANKS ASSOCIATION. PROMPT CAME THE RESPONSE IN TWO WORDS: GOOD SUGGESTION.

End of the matter. As I said it is the mind set. The international song: WE SHALL OVERCOME.

In India, WE SHALL NOT CHANGE.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     16 December 2009

I think, corruption at executive and police is increasing load on judiciary. These two (police and executive) need urgent reform.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     16 December 2009

What about corruption in judiciary? Are we adopting the policy of an ostrich?

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     16 December 2009

Corruption in judiciary is unpardonable. Corruption at executive and Police is forcing the people to approach judiciary. In my area we had one executive majistrate, his version was "Maal mera, faisala tumhara' (Just pay the amount what I am asking, and take the judgement in your favour as per your wish, or just bring the judgement I will sign on jt). Now in that case it is sure the affected party will approach judiciary. I am talking about civil matters.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     17 December 2009

In not distant future, the way justice is dispensed with, courts will be redundant. Dons will come into the picuture.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     17 December 2009

Yes, It is true. Dons have entered into this field, even in small towns.  they are deciding civil matters.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register