Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Karan Mahajan (Professional)     11 July 2014

Meeting with a lawyer at his office.

Hi,

We have a 1+ year old marriage and due to certain conflicts/issues between me and my wife, she stayed at her parental house for most of time during this period. Now after 4 months of stay at her parental house, she approached a lawyer and gave him a list of all expenses incurred during the marriage + the complete story writing on the instances of marriage. Her lawyer called me up and asked to meet and discuss. On meeting, he told me that girl wants a divorce and you can see the expenses spent during the marriage and arrive at a figure you can pay them back/return all gifts etc.

I wish to reconcile the differences between myself and her and so I had requested for a family meeting. Now, he has arranged a meeting between my wife, myself and the lawyer at his Office..

I doubt if there is some conspiracy or something wrong with lawyer being present in meeting.

Can someone please advise if I should attend this meeting and if yes, I need to be cautious for anything as I dont know that person and he is her lawyer?

He might record statements and put all kind of weird questions just to make use of them later...

Please suggest.

Learning

2 Replies

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     11 July 2014

Yes, this looks fishy. Try to post pone the meeting. Engage a good lawyers to prepare for the long lengthy battle.

(Guest)

Get a local lawyer to accompany you. However there are mediation centers everywhere and you can go to court for a proper legal mediation. Inside mediation center there is a proper mediator who knows how to mediate and reconcile properly . Usually lawyers are not allowed inside the most of the time. I have seen positive outcomes from this mediation center. However if you want to go to meet at the lawyer office then i would recommend a neutral place, maybe a standard restaurant or something. Yes you can accompany your lawyer with you too. Any ques asked by him will not stand as evidence as he is not an authority but he may record it and if divorce and criminal charges are levied then the IO report may get affected by those recordings so keep an eye out on that.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register