LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Srinivas (.)     08 July 2014

Ex-parte divorce would have impact on 498a-urgent,urgent pls

Hi All, My wife filed 498a DP 3 & 4 on me and later released on bail. we compromised and 498a case moved to lokadalat. in between my wife filed Divorce case under sec 13 (1) ia,ib.Today I got divorce notice and did signature on divorce summons and in that they mentioned if u don’t attend on 10.07.2014 and it will go against to u (Underfend).

1) If I dont attend on 10.07.2014 that will go to the exparte, Please advise is there any chances to reopen this expartee divorce later ? Please advise.

2) In divorce petition she mentioned 498a DP 3 & 4 Filed in women police station. Is Ex-parte divorce would have any impact on 498a ? Please advise.

Thanks to all and quick responses.

Learning

6 Replies

SVG (why)     08 July 2014

Hi Srinivas,

On 10-07-2014, if you don't attend, the court will not issue ex-parte divorce decree to your legally wedded wife.

However, this is what can happen, if you neither be present in person nor represented by lawyer :

1. On first hearing, your chance of filing counter would be forfeited.

2. On Second hearing If PW1(your wife) files her written statement / affidavit, on the next date, you shall have to cross-examine the PW1.

3. Third Hearing (assuming that there are now witnesses from petitioner side), your chance of cross-examination of PW1 is forfeited. The next date would be given to present final arguments.

4. On this 4th hearing, if you still do not attend nor represented, ex-parte divorce may be granted.

Sometimes, steps 2 & 3 are merged, or step 2 may not take place.

For more info, contact me in private e-mail.

Regards

SVG.

Hi Srinivas,

On 10-07-2014, if you don't attend, the court will not issue ex-parte divorce decree to your legally wedded wife.

However, this is what can happen, if you neither be present in person nor represented by lawyer :

1. On first hearing, your chance of filing counter would be forfeited.

2. On Second hearing If PW1(your wife) files her written statement / affidavit, on the next date, you shall have to cross-examine the PW1.

3. Third Hearing (assuming that there are now witnesses from petitioner side), your chance of cross-examination of PW1 is forfeited. The next date would be given to present final arguments.

4. On this 4th hearing, if you still do not attend nor represented, ex-parte divorce may be granted.

Sometimes, steps 2 & 3 are merged, or step 2 may not take place.

For more info, contact me in private e-mail.

Regards

SVG.

Wish to add ...

At any stage, even immediately after ex-partee divorce order, you can attend and file a set-aside petition and re-initiate the case from the start.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     08 July 2014

I would like to disagree with the opinion of SVG in this issue.  If you have received the summons and chose to remain absent before the court on the date of hearing (first itself), the court is not obliged to send you fresh summons for the hearing to be posted on the next date. You will be set exparte on the first haring itself on being called absent by the court..  No doubt you can file an application at a next date for setting aside the exparte order against you, but that is not solution to the present issue. Moreover, the trial in 498A and other dowry related cases will go on until it has not been compromised and withdrawn.  What was the necessity to file a divorce case when the mediation for 498a was under process?  Is she trying some other trick on you?  Why this complication which could have been avoided by filing a divorce petition unde mutual consent?  Please consult a local lawyer and proceed as per his advise.

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     11 July 2014

In response to your queries  I say,-

1.  EX-PARTE DIVORCE ORDER CAN BE REOPENED SUBJECT TO  THE QUESTION OF ITS LIMITATION.

2.  DIVORCE HAS NO IMPACT UPON THE OFFENCES U/S.498A IPC.AS THE LATER IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE FOR HARASSMENT AND CRUELTY.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     13 July 2014

What did you guys agree on in Lok Adalat?

Why don't you enforce that agreement?

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you LOST.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register