Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

praveen (proprietor)     11 June 2014

Partioning property between siblings

Dear all:

My parents had an inherited property which has to be shared between we two siblings based on a WILL document executed by our parents. The property is in a remote town of tamilnadu and both our parents are not alive.

Can I seek your guidance on the process of setteling the property between the siblings and what would be the approx Government duties required to be remitted. 

Thank you in advance. 

Praveen

Learning

9 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     11 June 2014

Please clarify from parent you mean father or mother or both? The legal proposition shall be different in all three situations.

If the property is ancestral and your parents wanted to give equal share to both of you, what does the document state? What was there in the mind/ intention of your parents to execute a will?

dr g balakrishnan (advocate/counsel supreme court)     11 June 2014

Adv Vashista is right!

Originally posted by : Dr J C Vashista 9891152939

Please clarify from parent you mean father or mother or both? The legal proposition shall be different in all three situations.

If the property is ancestral and your parents wanted to give equal share to both of you, what does the document state? What was there in the mind/ intention of your parents to execute a will?

Originally posted by : Dr J C Vashista 9891152939

Thanks Sir, the property was in the name of my mother, who had written the will. It is not an ancestral property. The will states that both the siblings have equal rights on the property after the death of our father. As the will was drafted and registered about 10 years back, we aren’t sure what their intention was while the document was prepared. Since we both were living out of town, we were not thinking about the Will and property until our father’s recent demise. Our mother passed away few years back.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     12 June 2014

You have stated some thing confusing and different to advise, however, presumably your mother has executed the will in favour of her husband (your father) and expired, isn't it?

If yes, did your father got the property mutated in his favour ? Did your father execute some will or any other document?

If no,  the property  is required to be mutated in the name of your father and then it will pass on both of you.

Engage a local lawyer, show the document to him/her and seek his/her guidence and advise.

praveen (proprietor)     12 June 2014

My apology, if my response was confusing. But your presumption is right. Our father did not execute any will or document as you had mentioned. When we consulted a local lawyer, he suggested to go for partition or settlement which would cost a stamp duty (8% stamp duty).this is a huge cost for us as the value appreciated over the years. Is there any other way you could advise which is more effective legally and monetarily. Thanks for your advice. Regards Praveen

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 June 2014

First of all it is the property belonging to you both equally, now what is your decision?, to partition and have separate possession of individual's share or to relinquish one's right of share in the property to the other by executing a registered release deed in other's favor?,  there is no question of settlement here.  The property upon your father's death devolve equally among his legal heirs.i.e., you both and it is you both who have to decide about its disposal either jointly or separately, either within yourselves or otherwise.  the stamp duty has to be paid as per the government guidelines value for any document that has to be registered, there is no exemption to it in the normal circumstances.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     15 June 2014

It is not only stamp duty in a partition suit you are required to pay ad-velorum Court Fees before filing your suit.

If you can settle the matter amicably, get a relinquishment deed executed and registered by one in favour of other, that is the cheapest, easiest, least time consuming  and legally valid document. 

praveen (proprietor)     15 June 2014

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will check with any of the local advocate on relinquishment deed to execute and register.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register