LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sam (Artist)     04 June 2014

Parking space

I have recently brought a flat in a CHSL in Mumbai. I would like some clarity on parking issues here.

1. Number of members are more while parking space is less. Managing committee had proposed a lottery system for allocating the flats but it was left open due to few members not agreeing. What is the solution to this?

2. Since there is no parking space, i am parking my car on the road outside the compound. However i noticed that some members have open parking space but no car. Can this be allowed? Do the members have any legal rights over the space even if it was purchased or allocated from the builder?

3. These members are also renting out space at a very high cost. Is this legal?

4. In case one of the member agrees to sell his parking, will it be at the current cost or at the amount he must have paid to the builder?

What course of action should i take to be given parking space in the society?

Learning

12 Replies

Lawyer SALEEMA (Advocate Madras High Court & Legal Consultant Chennai Law in Law Firm. +91-9698884779)     04 June 2014

The car parking spaces is part of the common amenities and it cannot be treated to be a separate premises/garage as per the verdict of Supreme Court. Therefore, the same could not be sold/conveyed by the developer or any of the flat owner to any other person.

Naveen Kumar (service)     04 June 2014

@ Saleema Kabeer

Can you provide the citation/judgement of the Supreme Court

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     04 June 2014

It has to be decided in general body meeting of the soceity.  Whatever it is decided it has to be followed.  If there is any irregular and fraudulant act by the society or the builder, the sufferer can approach the civil court for his grievance. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     04 June 2014

I agree with the views of Advocate Ms. Kabeer on the subject issue. The proposed lottery system to allocate parking space to the members will be the best system where the members are more and the parking space is less. In the event of builder or the association charging for the parking space from a member will be considered illegal in the light of Supreme court judgment on the issue.

Naveen Kumar (service)     05 June 2014

Mr.Kalaiselvan, Ravinder Any other.......

What is that Supreme Court Judgement with regarding Car Parking ? 

Can you provide the citation/judgement of the Supreme Court ?

Thanks

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     05 June 2014

Nahalchand Laloochand Pvt. Ltd. v. Panchali Co-operative Housing Society Ltd.[AIR 2010 SC 3607]

A bench of Justices A K Patnaik and R M Lodha, ruled that builders or promoters cannot sell parking areas as independent units or flats as these areas are to be extended as “common areas and facilities” for the owners.

1 Like

Ravinder Sir,

Thank you so much..

As per the judgement builders cannot charge for car parking, then

In Bangalore at the time of registration, the officer in sub-registrar office while calculating the stamp duty and registration charges they also include the car parking charges [i.e., for open and covered parking it is 1.35 & 1.5 lakhs respectively].  At the time of Sale Agreement the builder has already collected the car parking charges, apart from this, at the time of registration the purchaser has to pay the above amounts to government.  [At the time of registration the builder will not disclose about the car parking charges payable to sub-registrar, they simply include in the stamp duty].  So the buyer is almost trailing his 3 to 4 lakhs for car parking.

[This fee is applicable only for those who are registering the property as per government guideline values]  I don't  know whether the same procedure is followed by other state sub-registrar offices. 

Is there any government guidelines to this effect or blindly they collect this amount ?      

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     06 June 2014

The sub-registrar office go by the recital of sale deed wherein the parking slot is also sold in the terms mentioned therein, hence. If you are still i doubt, you may verify the same from a registered sale deed of any other person who  has not purchase the parking slot as per the sale deed, but the same was embedded in the sale of the flat.

Sam (Artist)     08 June 2014

Thank you for your reply everyone.

But i am still not clear about weather it is possible for some members who do not own a car to still have parking slots and also if they can charge high rent for it.

When i approached the managing committee, i was told that they have been allocated those parking slot from the builder and hence society cannot do anything in that regard.

Also if there are some slots which have been allocated by the society, but the member does not have a vehicle, can the slot be allocated to a new member with a vehicle?

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     09 June 2014

1.  Parking Slot /Space issue depends on EACH State's Development Control Rules and the State's Regional Town Planing Acts.

2.  The SC judgement in matter of  "Nalchand Laloochand Pvt. Ltd. v. Panchali Co-operative Housing Society Ltd.[AIR 2010 SC 3607]",   pertains to MOFA, MRTP, MMC laws, and are applicable ONLY & ONLY to Maharashtra State.  It is another matter that the SC order may be used as a precedent or reference for such matters, without any lawful liability.

3.  MOFA, MRTP, MMC laws, are specific for Maharashtra, constituted by the Maharashtra Legislative Council.  AND it is not formulated by the Lok Sabha, which in turn means that they are not applicable to other States (unless adopted or whatever)

4.  The querist belongs to Bangalore, where the Parking modalities shall be governed by the State's Development Control Rules and the State's Regional Town Planing Acts.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
https://hemantagarwal21.blogspot.in/?view=sidebar

Naveen Kumar (service)     09 June 2014

@Kalaiselvan sir,

You are right, but what i have mentioned is only for those who are buying car parking, may be those who are not purchasing the car parking they need not bother about it.  Yes the sub-registrar offices will go by recital, if you do not mention the car parking details they will not calculate/add that amount.        

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register