LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nirmala (Propritor)     09 May 2014

Help

Hi,i have a very complicated problem.i got married in2000 may.my marriage was forced by my parents and brother .after marriage i returned to my parents house the very next day and refused to go back.my marriage was never consumated.after a year i got divorced according to our customs.i remained unmarried for the next 6yrs and in 2007 april got married again and this time my marriage was registered.i had a child in 2008 october and my inlaws and husband never took me back from my parents house to their house.my husbands behaviuor i noted during my brief stay was not normal.for the next 6 yrs i stayed in my parents house.now recently just few months back my inlaws claim that my husband has been suffering from bipolar with ocd since childhood and now his condition has worsened and they claim that he might kill me and my child due to his condition,so they want mutual divorce from me.when i refused they have come up that my first marriage was not legally divorced.they were aware of my first marriage and for him also it is his second marriage.he repeated the same thing to his first wife.as soon as she got pregnant his father made arrangements for the girl to be divorced and got a mutual consent from her also.i have refused to give a mutual consent.what should i do now.i am very angry that they have cheated me and have spoilt the lives of two women and two children.

Learning

6 Replies

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     09 May 2014

after a year i got divorced according to our customs.

the burdon of proving the custom is upon yourself.

Bombay High Court

Bhaskar Tanhaji Dhokrat vs Mrs. Parwatabai Bhaskar Dhokrat ... 

on 6 September, 1995

(1996) 1 Bom CR 311

Bench: A Mane

6. Now, there is no quarrel on a proposition that it is incumbent on the party setting up such a custom to allege and prove custom and it is not a theory of custom or deductions from other customs which can be made a rule of decision but only any custom applicable to the parties concerned that can be the rule of decision in a particular case. It is also equally true that the custom cannot be extended by analogy and it cannot be established a priori methods. A custom to be recognised by the courts should be (a) ancient, (b) continuous and uniform, (c) reasonable, (d) certain, compulsory and not optional, (e) peaceable and lastly, (f) not immoral. The custom which is recognised under the Evidence Act is a general custom, i.e. the custom common to a class of people living in the same district or belonging to the same caste or community. Therefore, in order to prove a custom there should be evidence of such a nature so as to prove uniformity and continuity of usage and the conviction of those following it that they were acting in accordance with law and this conviction must be inferred from the evidence. Moreover, the evidence of acts of kind, acquiescenee in those acts, their publicity, decision of courts or even of panchayats upholding such acts, statements of experienced and competent persons of their belief in such acts were legal and valid will all be admissible but it is obvious that although admissible evidence of this later kind will be of little weight if unsupported by actual examples of usage asserted.

in 2007 april got married again

if u can not prove a valid customary divorce, ur second marriage is null and void.

they want mutual divorce from me.

if they themself claim that ur first marriage is NOT legally dissolved, then divorce is NOT applicable for the second marriage, since the second marriage is void from the inception.

they have come up that my first marriage was not legally divorced.

yes - their claim is maintainable.

they were aware of my first marriage

Bombay High Court

Mangala D/O Dinkar Shankar ... vs Laxman Ganpat Jadhav 

on 19 September, 2007

Equivalent citations: 2008 (1) MhLj 244

7. Thus, three types of decrees in law are different. First is a nullity of marriage; second is a voidable marriage and; third is a divorce. These are the different remedies provided under the law in different situations and circumstances. In the present matter the respondent was having his first wife -Sushila alive at the time of his marriage with the present appellant. Section 5(i) of the Act requires that either spouse to the marriage shall not have a living spouse at the time of marriage, and if the first spouse of the party is living then the marriage is void ab-initio. In this matter whether the fact of the first marriage was within the knowledge of the second spouse or not, is not a relevant factor. The second marriage may be without the knowledge and/or with the knowledge of the first marriage. Whatever may be the circumstances such second marriage is a void marriage.

That marriage does not exist in the eyes of law. It is non-est marriage or it is a nullity.

Supreme Court of India

Savitaben Somabhai Bhatiya vs State Of Gujarat And Ors 

on 10 March, 2005

CASE NO.: Appeal (crl.) 399 of 2005

[2005] RD-SC 162

But it does not further the case of the appellant in the instant case. Even if it is accepted as stated by learned counsel for the appellant that husband was treating her as his wife it is really inconsequential. It is the intention of the legislature which is relevant and not the attitude of the party.

In Smt. Yamunabai’s case (supra) plea similar to the one advanced in the present case that the appellant was not informed about the respondent’s earlier marriage when she married him was held to be of no avail. The principle of estoppel cannot be pressed into service to defeat the provision of Section 125 of the Code.(Page 4)

its very difficult to prove customary divorce. 

Thaank you for ur reply.i belong to the badaga community of the nilgiris,tamilnadu.our costums are from ancient times and are still active and each and every badaga follows these customs till date.

giving consent for 13B is the issue wholly in your own control.

Thank you.about a months back i had gone to live in my husbands place with my child and i had gone to my parents place to collect somethings and on my return my husband refuses to open the door and let me in ,all my belongings and the childs belongings are inside and now they demand a mutual,only then they say they will do anything for yhe child otherwise they will not allow me inside the house and not provide anything for my child or me.we approached the all womens police station,but he used his influence and they dint take proper action.now i have given a petition with the commisioner of police.he says he can file an fir and remand them but he cannot give me entrance into my husbands house.that i will have to go to court.i want to punish them for the treatment meted out by them to my child who is 5 yrs old and to me.can you suggest.

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     10 May 2014

for getting maintenance to urself + child, u can file petition in court under DV act & Cr.P.C. 125

police can not help you get maintenance. also dont be in a misconception that they will help you resolve the issue. 

in DV act, u can also seek right to reside at the husband's house / monthly rent for alternate accomodation.

as far as punishing the husband, u need to file a case in court as per IPC. but pursuing this case, u will loose peace of mind & further, proving the allegations beyond reasonable doubt is very difficult in court. Also, in such a criminal case, u will neither get divorce nor maintenance. all that u can seek in such a case is punishment for the husband.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register