Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shoobeedoo (teacher)     06 May 2014

Bank account frozen for no apparent reason

Dear all,

I am a foreigner living and working in Tamil Nadu.

A few days ago my Indian bank account (Axis) was frozen, I've been informed of that yesterday by my company, which wasn't able to transfer my salary on it last Friday (they finally had to pay me cash).

I'm trying to figure out with my bank what the problem is but all we know is that the decision came from a higher authority ("Royal Bank of India" or something like that, whatever that is, has been evoked) and my bank is "looking into the matter", which mean they may find out an explaination tomorrow as well as next year as far as I'm concerned (they went as far today as to tell me that they had "lost" my bank account's files and were looking for them in their computers, so that says it all about how efficient they are!).

My company's accountant claims that this may be happening for 4 possible reasons:

1/ I am the subject of an international banking "freeze" due to debts or other issues in my home country. This is not the case and my home country's bank has confirmed it to me today.

2/ I have unpaid debts in India. My bills are paid and I have no debt whatsoever in India or anywhere else for that matter.

3/ I am not properly registered at the FRRO and considered an illegal immigrant, which seems dubious because I have the proper visa and resident permit and my situation as an immigrant is absolutely legal and by the book. + I've been here for 8 months now and no problem so far.

4/ Here's the scary one: I am the subject of criminal charges or a criminal investigation in India. I know for a fact that I haven't commited any crime or done anything illegal in India (or anywhere else), save maybe downloading some music and movies, none of them Indian (I've checked online and there are like THREE cases EVER in which India went after people for that, all of them being about the latest Bollywood movie, so it just can't be that). I'm as clean as a newborn baby: I can't think of a single thing that I may have done or that may have happened that may put me in an illegal situation of any kind in this country! Nonetheless, my company's accountant seems very much worried about that, going as far as to suggest that for him it's likely to be the correct explaination and that, when I try to solve the problem with that "Royal Bank of India" or whatever institution it is, I should make sure that "they can't track me down". Huh? Whaaaaaaaaaat? Even if I was facing false accusations of God knows what crime or fraud I haven't commited, if they know my bank account they know where I live and where I work so what the hell, I'd already be in jail wouldn't I?

I had another theory: due to that whole mess, I've just realized that I've never received my PAN card (which I applied for 8 months ago) so my guess was that maybe that was the reason, that I was registered as a foreigner working in India without a PAN card (it would then make it all easier since I have proof that I have applied for it) but my accountant told me that no, it can't be that, that this mysterious Indian administration that has closed my bank account isn't worried about taxes and PAN cards. Huh? How can he be so sure? I don't know and he wouldn't explain.

So I'm very much worried about that whole situation and sometimes when you're a foreigner in India it's EXTREMELY difficult to get clear answer from locals (don't get me wrong, I love this country and I chose to come here because I'd travelled here a lot earlier and knew I loved it, but it's a fact that getting clear information is hell, I've experienced it numerous times all over India). I mean it's probably nothing, a mistake from the administration or maybe finally just that PAN card thing, but the mere idea that I may be wanted by the Indian police for any reason is... terrifying to say the least. And the fact that I have NO IDEA whether I will finally be informed of the reasons why this is all happening tomorrow or in weeks is quite upsetting as well.

So here I am, desperately seeking advice and opinions regarding what could be the cause of this bank account freezing. Does the "wanted by the police" theory of my accountant make any sense? Could it finally just be the PAN card despite what he says? Any other possible explaination or theory?

Many, many thanks for your help. One can feel VERY lonely facing legal/administration problems in a foreign country, so your help may really be precious.

Kind regards.

Learning

4 Replies

Sumit Shukla (none)     07 May 2014

Experts will assist you soon , meanwhile i can clear something-

Its RBI (Reserve Bank Of India) the national bank of india , you can contact them directly )

https://www.rbi.org.in/scriptttts/AboutUsDisplay.aspx?pg=Offices.htm

they have office in chennai , before posting this question here you could have googled and atleast got the name and address of this higher authority bank. (its ok i know it feel like to be a in a foreign country)

just clarify with your bank once , it can be simple documentation issue sometime. (KYC norms- Know your Customer )

Freezing of accounts is a very rare , unless serious criminal issues (which i believe online piracy and illegal downloads you mention are not)

there might be some other thing , Pan card is not really necessary (necessary for transactions of more than rs.50,000 rs in cash )

possibility which i am thinking is maybe something related with the transfer movement of funds from your account , are sending money abroad ? if yes maybe not the proper way 

i lived in russia(in siberia) for 6 years , atleast you can post question in english here , but i had no such resources while i was in russia only russian.

atleast learn the full name of our country's national bank , it written on every banknote printed in india that too in english and bold enough.

check this link -

https://www.rbi.org.in/scriptttts/FAQView.aspx?Id=30

(answers regarding the NRE accounts.

which account you have from following-

https://www.axisbank.com/nri/others/accounts/nre-savings-account/features-benefits.aspx

https://www.axisbank.com/nri/others/accounts/nre-salary-account/features-benefits.aspx

of course you are NOT illegal migrant in INDIA , but i believe you need to register after 180 days , there is no harm even if you dont need to you can register there , it will be helpful in future if you need police help

there is a saying in india - jaisa desh vaisa bhesh (WHEN IN ROME DO AS THE ROMANS ) 

shoobeedoo (teacher)     07 May 2014

Many thanks Sumit for your kind answer: I will remember Reserve Bank of India ;) However the good news is that THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!

My bank called me back: they just realized they had registered me as... a tourist! And in India people on a tourist visa can't have a bank account opened for more than 6 consecutive months! So I just need to give 'em copies of my registration permit and work visa.

Moral of the story: my accountant just scared the sh*** out of me for... nothing!

So end of the story, mods please feel free to lock the thread.

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     07 May 2014

For every bank there is a complaint cell called banking ombudsman were what every the complaint is registered say on paper or on line it will be solved within 24 hours and if they fail to solve you can go to reserve bank of india and complaint about it  and as your problem is solved it is only information from my end

Sumit Shukla (none)     07 May 2014

happy to hear that problem is solved 

yes accountant and bankers have scared you , private bank employees just try to save their A*S.

it was obvious their mistake if they regsiterd you as tourist , as you wanted an salary account in their bank.

one thing which iwanted to tell yesterday also , if you have gone through the links i have posted , you consider open bank account in one of the nationalized bank also (Government bank, most banks are Govt.) , maybe a little pain but will be big help in future if such thing happens.

I believe until you havenot committed any serious crime  you should not be this much worried.

and just wanted to ask , which country you belong to ? just answer if you want to 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register