LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raman ( )     09 September 2009

Amendments to the CrPC ?

"Recently, Lawyers across the country went on a strike demanding withdrawal of amendments to the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) because of which it is no longer mandatory for the police to arrest someone charged with an offence punishable with up to seven years in jail."

Can someone please update me the conclusion on the proposed amendments  ?

Learning

5 Replies

Adv. Deepak (Advocate)     09 September 2009

As per the latest amendments, it will be no longer necessary for the police to arrest the person charged with an offence punishable with 7 years of imprisonment.  Police will only serve a notice to the accused to attend the court on the date of hearing.  If he fails to attend, then only he will be arrested. ddkharpudikar@indiatimes.com

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     10 September 2009

mr Deepak ,Raman asking about stage of amendment Can someone please update me the conclusion on the proposed amendments  ?

AS PER MY KNOWLEDGE THE BILL GOT PRRESIDENT ASSENT AND IT IN THE NOTIFICATION STAGE, I HOPE MAY NOT COME SO EARLY TO SEE THE TEARS OF ADVOCATE COMMUNITY, I ALSO  HOPE NOT TO COME AS NOTIFIED

valentine (Advocate)     25 October 2009

If I am not wrong the amendment has been made. Still, however, thepolice is making arrests. If it is implemented strictly, any offence requiring imprisonment for less than 7 years would be like an offence of wrong parking. No arrests are possible and during the intervening period of the offender bening brought to the court, the police and the offender will have sufficient time to settle the matter out of court or reduce the intensity of the offence.

valentine

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     25 October 2009

VALENTINE,

THE AMMENDED Cr,P.C NOT NOTIFIED DUE THE AGGITATION FROM LAWYERS AND POLITICIANS.

RECENTLY OUR LAW MINISTER TOLD IT WILL BE DISCUSSED AGAIN IN PARLIMENT IN LENGTH.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register