LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajeev (oen)     07 March 2013

High assessed customs value for postal import, help please

I have bought an car security system (remote lock) from www.aliexpress.com , china, its actual price is about USD 25, after discount i paid USD 21.9, by credit card, But once i got it through customs, the Postal appraising division, (PAD) chennai, have assessed higher value of Rs.6000 and on that 41.4% duty comes to Rs. 2530,

I am shocked to see, the duty , double the original cost.

actual cost i paid                                      - Rs.1300 approx

value assessed by appraising offcier  - Rs.6000

Duty have to be paid                               - Rs.2530

I have got this memo from post office, but i sent back for re- assessment to PAD, foreign post, chennai, with all supporting documents to prove it is only Rs.1300,

1, Credit card statement copy

2. order form from online page

3. Actual price displayed in the website

4. My PAN copy

etc. and also the same product with well known brand name will be available in india for about Rs.2500-3000 maximum, that too with warranty,

it was there in office for about 2 months and after, But the parcel came back to me today with same duty, as before. i am confused whether to pay duty and claim back, or file a suit against customs officer, since i have all things to prove the price is just Rs.1300, please help

I am much frustrated with PAD, since they charge much higher, and also not accepting the documents as proof, i dont know , on which basis they assess value,

Is there any legal solution to this? or by RTI? i came to know that chennai surface PAD, does charge more to most people, but i do not want this to happen to any other.

I have bought an car security system (remote lock) from www.aliexpress.com , china, its actual price is about USD 25, after discount i paid USD 21.9, by credit card, But once i got it through customs, the Postal appraising division, (PAD) chennai, have assessed higher value of Rs.6000 and on that 41.4% duty comes to Rs. 2530, I am shocked to see, the duty , double the original cost. actual cost i paid - Rs.1300 approx value assessed by appraising offcier - Rs.6000 Duty have to be paid - Rs.2530 I have got this memo from post office, but i sent back for re- assessment to PAD, foreign post, chennai, with all supporting documents to prove it is only Rs.1300, 1, Credit card statement copy 2. order form from online page 3. Actual price displayed in the website 4. My PAN copy etc. and also the same product with well known brand name will be available in india for about Rs.2500-3000 maximum, that too with warranty, But the parcel came back to me today with same duty, as before. i am confused whether to pay duty and claim back, or file a suit against customs officer, since i have all things to prove the price is just Rs.1300, please help it was there in office for about 2 months and after

Read more at: https://www.caclubindia.com/forum/high-assessed-customs-value-for-postal-import-help-please-242067.asp#.UTiJCjdvBsl
I have bought an car security system (remote lock) from www.aliexpress.com , china, its actual price is about USD 25, after discount i paid USD 21.9, by credit card, But once i got it through customs, the Postal appraising division, (PAD) chennai, have assessed higher value of Rs.6000 and on that 41.4% duty comes to Rs. 2530, I am shocked to see, the duty , double the original cost. actual cost i paid - Rs.1300 approx value assessed by appraising offcier - Rs.6000 Duty have to be paid - Rs.2530 I have got this memo from post office, but i sent back for re- assessment to PAD, foreign post, chennai, with all supporting documents to prove it is only Rs.1300, 1, Credit card statement copy 2. order form from online page 3. Actual price displayed in the website 4. My PAN copy etc. and also the same product with well known brand name will be available in india for about Rs.2500-3000 maximum, that too with warranty, But the parcel came back to me today with same duty, as before. i am confused whether to pay duty and claim back, or file a suit against customs officer, since i have all things to prove the price is just Rs.1300, please help it was there in office for about 2 months and after

Read more at: https://www.caclubindia.com/forum/high-assessed-customs-value-for-postal-import-help-please-242067.asp#.UTiJCjdvBsl

Learning

3 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     07 March 2013

Your case should be assessed under Chapter 85 of the Import Tariff 2012-13.

Therein, it should be assessed as 7.5% standard rate of duty payable i.e. falling under Radio Remote Control Apparatus which falls under Import tariff Item code 8526 92 00.

Hence, now make correct representation accordingly. 

Rajeev (oen)     08 March 2013

The duty have been revised to NIL, thanks for all the help. Please close this topic. :)

sameer (HR executive)     14 October 2014

hi rajeev, good to now the duty have been revised, i'm facing similar issue with Foreign Post office in Mumbai for my parcel worth $22.50 (Rs. 1400 approx), Customs did valuation of Rs 4000 & asked me to pay Rs. 1600 as duty charges...  i have sent back the parcel for re-assessment with the supporting documents, lets see what comes out..

in earlier post you said even after re-assessment they sent back the parcel without any changes & then you again replied saying the duty have been revised to NIL...what went between this two steps, pls. reply me on this, cuz i can be prepared accordingly..

thnks

sameer

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register