LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

suryaprakash (svd)     01 February 2013

Adverse possession of property

I own a property but have been living away from the property. One of my relative has been living in the property for  more than twelve  years. I have been visiting and living once in few years for about a week or so. Can the relative now claim the property on the basis that he lived in the property  twelve years? What is a adverse possession law? Does it consider my timely visit to the property to break teh tweleve year stretch?

Learning

5 Replies

Karl Jacob (Partner/Advocate)     01 February 2013

Adverse possession can be claimed only when the person was possessing the property denying your title from the beginning and continously in an open manner. So if u could prove that he was possessing the property with your consent then there cannot be adverse possession.
1 Like

Advocate Vishnu (Advocate)     01 February 2013

If you can show some document wherein you can prove that, the chain of 12 years is broken, then your relative cannot claim adverse possession. Even the revenue receipt of the property will suffice.

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     01 February 2013

The main ingredient of an adverse possession is that the person should stay in your property against your expressed wish for 12 years.

In your case it can not be called adverse possession as yet.

H.M.Patnaik (Proprietor)     01 February 2013

Well answered by Experts. Nothing to add.

suryaprakash (svd)     02 February 2013

Thanks all. I have the tax payements to prove  and the property rights document.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register