LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Right to privacy includes that bank should maintain confiden

Right to privacy includes that bank should maintain confidentiality in respect of documents in its custody

right to privacy deals with 'persons and not places', the documents or copies of documents of the customer which are in Bank, must continue to remain confidential vis-`-vis the person, even if they are no longer at the customer's house and have been voluntarily sent to a Bank. If that be the correct view of the law, we cannot accept the line of Miller in which the Court proceeded on the basis that the right to privacy is referable to the right of 'property' theory.

Learning

3 Replies

Harrowed (NA)     23 March 2013

Can banks illigally obtain personal information of individuals (family background, relatives details, their financial & social background etc). Can I do something legaly if my privacy is being invaded & all thirdparties (my relatives, friends & office collegues) are being contacted & being narrated false stories about me. Bank is threating & intimidationg my son to surrender to their terms..... Is this legally permissible. I have had no joy complaining to the bank's officials (Including their MD) & the RBI....How can I get more help on this as The police are not doing much. they have regisrered a complaint but that is the end..Please help.

Harrowed

Surendra Gupta (Banker)     23 March 2013

Your querry is not clear. How the bank is harassing your son or spreading stories and what complaint has been lodged by you with police.Pl elucidate

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     01 April 2013

An important aspect of the topic is that the Bank should maintain confidentiality of data and transactions of its "customers". Therefore, this requirement does not apply to people who are not the customers of the bank.

I may add that while customers can sue the Bank for breach of this aspect, 3rd parties (who are not the customers of the Bank) can sue the Bank for damages if (1) the 3rd party is provided some information by the Bank, (2) the information is proved later to be false, and (3) action/decision taken by the 3rd party on the basis of this information results in a loss to the 3rd party.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register