Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bikram (hm)     13 August 2012

Registering a gpa for selling property - stamp duty?

I hold a land jointly with my wife. We're planning to sell that land by giving general power-of-attorney (GPA) to her father. 

1) Is it possible? He's blood relative of my wife, but not me.

2) What will be the stamp duty? I understand that registering a GPA in the name of a blood relative is Rs 200, but how about mine?

3) Is a complex process to register a GPA. My father-in-law is senior-age, and I want to make the correct decision on taking help to get this done.


Thank you for any advice/suggestion.



 2 Replies

Naveen Kumar (service)     13 August 2012

No problem you can execute GPA in your Father-in-laws name.  Stamp duty payable is Rs.200.  It's not complex just give GPA with full details.  Just buy the paper consultant an advocate to draft GPA sign on it thats it. 

1 Like

Bikram (hm)     15 August 2012


Specific to Bangalore, unfortunately that's not he case. I checked with Sub-registrar office via one of my contacts. Here's what I found.

If the land is jointly owned by myself and my wife, and we intend to provide GPA to her father to sell the land:

1) Stamp duty for my wife's GPA will be Rs 200/- (blood relative), but mine will be (~6% of the value of the land)/2. Because it is not a case of blood relative.

2) That amount cannot be adjusted when my father-in-law sells the land to actual buyer.


This seems very unusual. Can I get some advice please? I am open to professional help.




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query