Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bachche Gowda (Owner)     13 March 2012

Story stolen in style

Dear Madam/Sir,

I  had written a 10 page story and submitted the same to one of the director ( Lets call him Mr. XYZ) at Bangalore. There are email proofs of the same. As this was not regular story, I had also submitted the research material (like news paper articles) to put forth the basis for story.

Later I found that a movie has been made/released on this topic by Mr.XYZ. But it is not dialogue by dialogue or scene by scene copy. 

It is something like this: The story submitted was written involving 30+ year old characters and adult audience (18+ / 'A' certificate), in mind. But the director XYZ, using the story as "REFERENCE POINT" along with research material provided, went on to write his own story involving 20+ year old characters and for 15- 25 year old audience ('U' certificate).

My argument is "if XYZ had not read my 10page scriptt and and research material, he would have never got the idea for his movie and never would have been able to explore the subject"...

Actually, movie was release two years back and I didn't file case as I was busy with my own life and also it was not straight forward copy. Now, I feel that if this issue is not fought, director XYZ will continue to make use of other novice/upcoming writers scriptts, modify or better or improvise it using his experience, and without giving due credit. He needs to be stopped by defeating him through Legal means and hence alerting young writers.

Please guide me by providing reference to good lawyers in Bangalore who have expertise in this area, how to go about it, and APPROXIMATELY how long such cases go and how much expenses does it take.

Also, as I am running low on Vitamin M, can there be possibility, that Lawyers agree to take up this case without any fees but take his charges from the compensation, that I may end up getting?

Thank you for your time,
Regards,
Bachche Gowda

Learning

3 Replies

Nagaraja B S (Corporate Commercial & IP Lawyer)     22 March 2012

Mr. Bachche Gowda,

There are two ways to look at it. Concept cannot be copyrighted. The same story can be told in several ways. Claiming ownership is totally difficult and impossible

For more details, contact

Regards,

Nagaraj

Corporate, Commercial & IP Lawyer

IP Lex Global Services

Email: nagaraja_bs@iplexglobal.in

www.iplexglobal.in

1 Like

Sachin Patil (Legal)     06 April 2012

Mr. Gowda, I am very much sure that the concept gets registered with the motion picture associations. Therefore, if you have registered the concept then you may have the case. You can initiate procedure against the producer in the association and the association shall redress the issue.

You may take this recourse before taking legal action through courts

Regards,

Sachin Patil

1 Like

Bachche Gowda (Owner)     12 April 2012

Thank you Mr. Sachin,

Rgds,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register