LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Lakshmi Narashimhan.S (Asst Manager)     16 January 2012

Forming flat owners association

Hi All, we are planning to form a flat owners association and we have only 8 flats

Please advise whether we can prepare a agreement/draft, get it signed from all 8 flat owners and get signature from a notary public instead of registering.

Please advise

Learning

14 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     21 March 2012

In the first place say where in India your building is. No advice can be given without knowing that.

Lakshmi Narashimhan.S (Asst Manager)     21 March 2012

Its in Chennai

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     22 March 2012

The best thing for you would be to form Owners’ Association under Tamilnadu Ownership Flats Act, 1997.  You will be able to get the booklet from any shop selling law books. The booklet gives step by step procedure to register your flats under the Act, so that your ownership of the flat becomes water-tight.  You do not have to go anywhere or approach a lawyer for drafting the agreement, because everything is there in the Act itself. Generally one can register the Association as a co-operative society or under the Societies Registration Act.  As you have only 10 members, co-operative society may or may not be possible. Under the Societies Registration Act the registration will be done in the office of the charity commissioner. In Chennai most apartments register as welfare associations, which is different from the registration under the Ownership Flats Act, though both are with the charity commissioner. A Welfare Association is only a service Association just to look after the common services. An Association under the Ownership Flats Act, on registration becomes the owner of all residual premises and equipment outside of the flats and hence has more authority. Individual flats also become transferable immovable properties. Transfers do take place even without registration under the Ownership Flats Act. But as there is no sufficient experience, one cannot say that problems may not arise in future. The Act itself gives Model Byelaws also. The Association will have to register first adopting the Model byelaws as it is. Later they can be amended, if felt necessary.

One final advice: Register as early as possible, because with passage of time members may change or their attitude may change or vested interests may creep in and the members will even oppose registration of any kind of Association.

IndSuree (Engineer)     09 December 2013

Hi All,

Ours is a 4 Flat Apartment, we would like to create an association for general maintenance. But the minimum count to form the association is 5.

We thought to open a Bank account at least to keep the building maintenance surplus funds, what is the procedure. Could you please advice.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     10 December 2013

All the 4 of you together can open a joint savings account with a bank. The operation can be one person only, specific two persons or in any other mode as you may wish. In the meantime all 4 of you together can execute a Deed, or Memorandum of Understanding setting out the purpose and other matters of your joining together. It can contain all the elements of  bye-laws. You can also register it with the Registrar of Assurances, if you so wish. You cannot form an Association only means that you cannot register under the Societies Registration Act, which is done with the Charity Commissioner of the State.

In which State are you?  Some States have laws for instances like yours.

Giridhar (proprietor)     19 April 2015

Dear sir, my flat is located in valasaravakkam chennai. In our building there are 4 flats. At times I'm taking the initiatives reg. Maintenance task is concerned others are not bothered even reluctant to pay their share. If we form an association then every thing may get solved. Kindly advice how we can form association with 4 flats? & can we register our owners association at least 3 owners are agreeing? Your suggestion will really help to bring Peace as far as my total building is concerned.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     25 April 2015

I think that you had sent me a PM. You can form a not-for-profit Association under Section 8 of the Company's Act, 2013.

sumathi (business)     28 April 2015

i want to know the procedures of forming welfare association in Tamilnadu 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     28 April 2015

@Sumathi: Where in Tamilnadu are you? How many members will be there in the proposed association?

Geetha Mani   04 September 2016

My daughter owns a flat in Suburban Chennai. It has been a one and half years since she bought this apartment. Some 8/9 owners have come forward to form an association. what are the procedures?

the owners have the contact details of very fewnother owners in this complex. the builder has refused to share  information about all the owners of these apartments with some of the people in this group. Is this legal?

Is there a time limit by which the owners association has to be formed?

Nazeer   24 April 2017

Respected Sir, I live in chennai, ours is 4 flat building and i am one of the owner of the flat. Find hardship collecting maintenance charges from one of the flat owner who refuses to pay. There is no association formed, please advise how to make this happen Kind regards, Nazeer

Nazeer   24 April 2017

Respected Sir, I live in chennai, ours is 4 flat building and i am one of the owner of the flat. Find hardship collecting maintenance charges from one of the flat owner who refuses to pay. There is no association formed, please advise how to make this happen Kind regards, Nazeer

Nazeer   24 April 2017

Prem   12 August 2018

Waiting for answer

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register