Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ram (Software Engineer)     16 August 2011

How much tax should be paid to sell property.

Hi All,

After seeing this forum and replies by experts I decided to post my question here... let me give little back ground here. I lived past 8 yrs out of country and I moved back to India few months back. I bought a duplex house in 2008 for 40 lacs including registration and I'm planning to sell it now. Current market price is 50 lacs. And I want to convert this amount into FD/MIS so that I can use of Interest money for monthly maintenance. I'm not doing any job now. here are my questions..

1) how much tax do I have to pay on 50 lacs.

2) Is there any IT problems having that much amount in FD?

Much appreciated for your responses.

Learning

9 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     16 August 2011

Kindly inform the exact date of registration of the house to compute the period of holding. Note that in order to qualify as a Long term capital asset, the period of holding must be more than 36 months.

Ram (Software Engineer)     16 August 2011

Hi Vishal, Thanks for quick reply.. I bought this house in the month of March 2008.

As per calculations you have incurred Long term capital loss. Hence there is no tax on the loss.

A word of caution: What is the government guideline value as per the Registration Deptt ?

Ram (Software Engineer)     17 August 2011

Hi Vishal, sorry for late reply the government guideline value as per the Registration Dept currently is 20 lacs.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     17 August 2011

In which case you have incurred loss on capital gains of about 10 lakhs

Ram (Software Engineer)     17 August 2011

Thank you Vishal .. not sure how you calculated this amount. I for got to mention that I took loan on 30 lacs and I almost paid 27 lacs... remaining 3 lacs. So what i can understand from your replies is .. I'm safe to sell this property and put them as FD's is that right?

A V Vishal (Advocate)     18 August 2011

Yes

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     11 September 2011

You can place any amount as FD. But if your interest income exceeds your tax exemption limit you are liable to pay income-tax.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register