Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sapna Makhija (Lawyer)     03 February 2009

correction in PAN CARD Data

Hi,

my friend is originally citizen of India, then she shifted to USA and became NRI. 

Last year to get some refund she wanted to file Income Tax Return, so she applied for PAN Card and by mistake she wrote Indian citizen instead of NRI in the PAN CARD Application Form.

Now, she realised her mistake and wanted to get it corrected. But we couldnot find such column in the correction Form. So our question is:

does this make any difference/problem while filing the IT Return? can she write NRI in the IT Return? how can she get it corrected. Please advice and provide related information and consequences.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

SM

Learning

3 Replies

SUNIL ARORA (Advocate)     04 February 2009

Kindly move an application to concerned I.T.O and plead that there is no mensrea in applying for PAN card.

D.V.RamaKrishna (Advocate)     04 February 2009

Though there is no specific column in the application "Request For New PAN Card Or/ And Changes Or Correction In PAN Data" w.r.t. the Residency Status, please see column no 8 "If you desire to update your other address also, give required details in additional sheet."

As per column stated above you can mention the required changes to be made in separate sheet.

S K R P GUPTA (ADVOCATE & TAX CONSULTANTS)     11 February 2009

it dosent make any difference, as the resiedential status will be  defiened while filing the return or in due course of its processing by the A.O.,  and on income tax return you will have to qquote the address,

better while filing the rerun with income tax department, inform the authorities about the address of the assessee. i think that will be the sufficient complience.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register