Is posting news from other websites on my website copyright?

Thank you for reply Mr Painitkar.I will follow your instructions.

Meanwhile I was also thinking of a few things:

1. If I ask the members to write the news in their own words,after reading it in a news website,will that be legal?

2.If they write in their own words,is it necessary for them to also mention the source of this news,where they read it?

3. If they mention the source,can that website where they read it still claim copyright even after wordings have been changed?

3.Or there is no need to mention the source,once the wordings change?

Please advise from the legal point of view.

YOU CAN APPOINT MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATOR FOR THE SERVER POSTINGS AND APPROVE/DENY THE POSTS. ALSO POST WARNING MESSAGES WHILE POSTING THE SAME.

Advocate

I appreciate your interst.You can see on newspapers a particular news is given in their own type and desighn.Mentioning of source is not mandatory unless any dispute is made. By raising the above questions you have almost understood the intricacies of publications and so proceed confidently.The practice will teach the rest in due course.

Freelance

Dear Divya,

It is good to note that you have great respect for copyright. Copyright has been one of the most abused IP rights, probably because of some inherent weakness in its enforceability. That apart, let me answer your questions one by one.

If I ask the members to write the news in their own words, after reading it in a news website, will that be legal?

Yes, this is the safest method and absolutely legal, and this should be the approach.

If they write in their own words, is it necessary for them to also mention the source of this news, where they read it?

Yes, you will be required to acknowledge, if you are quoting from copyrightable sources or expressing the similar idea in your own words driving inspiration from it.

There is a catch. Some one might argue that copyright subsists only in the expression of the idea, but not the idea per se, so I can take the liberty of not citing the source. But this needs to be understood according to the circumstances.

For example, let’s say “love story” is one idea. If I write purely my own thoughts (my own intellectual creation) on this topic I need not acknowledge any one. But, if someone has written on this topic and I want to write about it (whether a commentary, or criticism, review or abstract) to bring it to the notice of others, then I must acknowledge it.

As per Copyright Act, a fair dealing of copyrightable work for criticism or review is permissible. A fair dealing in my view, also involves acknowledging the original source.

There is no need to mention the source, once the wordings change?

The above answers this question too.

You can make it a policy that members write a short review of the news items and provide hyperlink to the main article.

1. There is no proble, for your questionh no 1. But dont just copy and paste. make it in your own words. 2. If you give the source of the news, then no problem, but the the original owner of that news (website)have the right to ask you, not to mention his site in your site.

hansa.kashyap@yahoo.co.in

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum

Menu

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
CrPC Course!     |    x