LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jaslok Gandhi (g)     18 May 2011

Maintenace query

My wife has demanded Interim Maintenance from me.

Will I have to pay it even if  I am a student pursuing higher studies?

Learning

11 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     18 May 2011

It is the bounded of the husband to pay the maintenance. You cannot avoid it.

thanx for quick reply sir.

But in reality I am a student pursuing higher studies. I

was self employed before but after the problems occured in my matrimonial life I had stopped working and want to pursue higher studies.

I have no income right now.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     18 May 2011

Then you can claim maintenance from your wife if she is working. :)

Thanx 4 quick reply mam.

Actually even she used to work before but now she is probably not woking.

Anyways I dont need maint. from her.

But can court ask me to pay maintenance even then.

Jamai Of Law (propra)     18 May 2011

It depends on the whole circumstances of the case!!!

Sec 24 interim maint under HMA (only under HMA and under any other statute) is gender neutral.

If both are not earning and both are in want of assistance from each other then .................. both should plead accordingly.

But courts do refer (and they are supposed to) to other Hindu personal laws and give deference to it and also crpc 125 and thus comprehensive  view that comes out of it is that.......... Once a male gets married (Hindu to a Hindu as per HMA ) then it becomes a responsibility of male to maintain female and kids.

Exception here is that: If female is capable of earning and not earning then she is not entitled to it.

But for females it does not mean that mere a 'factum of separation' means a go ahead given by her 'husband' to join studies!!! ........................ 

if they were living together and Even though  as a loving couple ......................... if wife had said that she wants to study ..then husband may say  " yes"  only if he is capable of paying for her studies or atleast says 'do join the studies, I won't mind if you can't not spare time for household work due to studies etc...but atleast sponsor your studies yourself!!'.

Mere 'Factum of separation' can't be treated as a scholarship or education grant!!!

Law says that, after 'factum of separation' if a spouse has no means to survive then only one is entitled for maint.

By joining studyies, one can't incapacitate oneself !!! (So is applicable to husband also!)

1 Like

If you show to the Court that you do not have any income to look after your self, then you would be absolved from paying maintenance to her. If she can prove before the Court about any income to you, then you will have to pay her maintenance. 

Thanx a million for ur replies.

My wife used to earn prior to marriage. So is it enough to prove that she has earning potential ?

I dont have her income proof but aware where she was working.

In that way, both of you have the potential to work and earn..that will not suffice when she is asking for maintenance. Now Court will see if you are earning your livelihood at this point of time.

Whoever starts earning first among you, will have to pay maintenance for the other. :)

Thank you so so much Madam for ur reply.

Now I just want to focus on my studies and improve my future.

LawsFight (Reader)     19 May 2011

Dear Jaslok, i don't know the whole story about you case but the matter that you discussed here and on that basis i want have an question that... does she ready to live with you or not ? If not than what's the reason that she neglect to live with you ?

Here i do copy one judgement.... Hope it will help you.

Section 24 in The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955

The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955

Sunita Sharma vs Upendra Kumar Sharma on 3 March, 2008 

ORDER

1. This Civil Revision application is directed against the order dated 23-7-1996 passed by the Principal Judge, Family Court. Patna, in Matrimonial Case No. 46 of 1995, whereby and where under the Court below rejected the application filed by the petitioner under Section24of the Hindu Marriage Act (hereinafter to be referred to as 'the Act' for short) claiming alimony pendent lite for her maintenance and for the maintenance of minor son. The plaintiff- opposite party filed Matrimonial Case No. 46 of 1995 against the petitioner for a decree for restitution of conjugal rights and for a direction to the petitioner to return to her matrimonial home and on failure of the petitioner, the marriage may be dissolved by a decree of divorce. 

2. The suit was contested by the petitioner by filing written statement stating, inter alia, that she is willing to live with her husband provided proper security is given to her as she was ill-treated by the plaintiff-opposite party and his parents, while she was living with the opposite party. During the pendency of the aforesaid case, the petitioner filed a petition dated 3-6-1996 praying for alimony pendent file which application was opposed by the plaintiff-opposite party on the ground that he is a student and has no source of income. The Court below disposed of the application by the impugned order dated 23-7-1996. The Court below came to the finding that there is no evidence on behalf of the plaintiff-opposite party to prima facie prove that the petitioner-wife is working as teacher in the school and she has no source of independent income and she is fully dependent for her maintenance on her parents. The Court below further came to the finding that the plaintiff-opposite party has also no independent source of income and he is still prosecuting his studies and dependent on his father. On that ground that petition filed by the petitioner was rejected. So far the maintenance to the minor child is concerned, the Court below held that since no separate application claiming maintenance of the child was filed, therefore, no order can be passed. Hence, this Civil revision application.

3. Mr. S. K. Verma, learned senior counsel appearing on behalf of the petitioner, assailed the impugned order as being illegal and wholly without jurisdiction. Learned counsel submitted that the Court below has committed grave error of law insofar, as it held that the plaintiff-opposite party having no independent source of income is not liabte to pay maintenance to the wife according to the learned counsel, in no event, the husband can be exonerated from his liability to maintain his wife and minor children. He put reliance on the decisions rendered in the cases (i) Smt. Urmila Devi v Hari Prakash Bansal, AIR 1988 Punj & Har 84, (ii) Gurmali Singh v. Bhuchari, AIR 1980 Punj & Har 120. Learned counsel further submitted that the Court below has failed to appreciate the settle law that no separate application with regard to maintenance of child is required and even on the basis of affidavit, such order can be passed. In support of his contention, learned counsel referred to the decisions in the cases of (i) Manoj Kumar Jaiswal v. Smt. Lila Jaiswal, AIR 1987 Cal 230 and (ii) Durga Pada Banerjee v. Smt. Sushmitta Banerjee. (1991) 2 Pat LJR 215. Learned counsel lastly submitted that it was not disputed that the plaintiff husband is able person capable of working and in such event, he is bound to maintain the wife and minor children. Learned counsel referred to the decisions in the cases, reported in.( 1995) 2 Pat LJ Reports, 199 and in 1997 Patna Law Reports 129. On the other hand, Mr. Farooque Ahmad Khan, learned counsel for the husband-opposite party submitted that the main suit filed by the plaintiff opposite party has been disposed of in terms of the judgment dated 13th June 996 and a decree for restitution of conjugal rights has been passed.

The learned counsel submitted that even-after the decree the petitioner-wife did not resume her conjugal life. The Court below decided all the issues in favour of the plaintiff-husband. According to the learned counsel, therefore, the question of payment of maintenance to the wife does not arise and by reason of passing of the decree, the application became infructuous. Learned counsel submitted that when the main suit stood disposed of, then the application under Section 24 of the Act does not survive. In this connection, the learned counsel relied upon the decision in the case of Nirmala Devi v. Ramdas. AIR 1973 Punj and Har48. Learned counsel then submitted that admittedly the opposite party-husband is studying and he has not finished his study. Learned counsel submitted that it is not a case where the husband is able to work, but is not working;

rather it is a case where he has been studying and for doing work, he will have to leave his studies. According to the learned counsel. therefore, the principles of the law, can vassed by the learned counsel for the petitioner does not apply. In support of his contention, he has cited two decisions, one of Allahabad High Court in the case, of Smt. Preeti Archana Sharma. v. Ravindra

Kumar Sharma, AIR I979. All 29 and another of Mysore High Court in the case of N. Subramanyam v. M. G. Saraswathi, AIR 1964 Mysore 38. 

4. Before appreciating the rival contentions made by the learned counsel for the parties, it would be useful too took into the provision of Section 24 of the Hindu Marriage Act which is quoted below:--

''24. Maintenance, pendente lite and expenses of proceedings: -- Where in any proceeding under this Act is appears to the Court that either the wife or the husband, as the case may be, has no independent income sufficient for her or his support and the necessary expenses of the proceeding, it may on the application of the wife or the husband, order the respondent to pay the petitioner the expenses of the proceeding such sum as, having: regard to the petitioner's own income and the income of the respondent, it may seem to the Court to be reasonable." 

5. From the aforesaid provision, it is manifest that the object of this section is to enable the husband or wife, as the case may be, who has no independent income sufficient for his or her maintenance or for him the expenses of any legal proceeding under the Act to obtain maintenance and the expenses pendente lite, so that the proceeding may be conducted without any hardship. 

6. I wish to first discuss the point raised by Mr. Farooque Ahmad Khan learned counsel for the opposite party-husband that by reason of the disposed of the main suit, the petition claiming maintenance pcndente lite and, legal expenses does not survive and has become infructuous. The learned counsel submitted that the plaintiff opposite party filed the suit for decree of restitution of conjugal right and in the event of failure on the part of the petitioner-wife to, resume conjugal life, marriage was dissolved by decree of divorce and in the concilialion proceeding the petitioner refused to live with him on the ground that her husband was not in service. According to the learned counsel, the suit has been ultimately disposed of by the judgment whereby a decree for restitution of conjugal right has been passed in favour of the opposite party husband and the petitioner was directed to resume matrimonial cohabitation. Under sick circumstances, the petitioner would not be entitled to pendente lite alimony and legal expenses. 1 have occasion to go through a copy of the judgment passed in the suit which was supplied by the counsel. From

perusal of the judgment, it appears that the learned Principal Judge, Family Court has considered the evidence in detail and came to the finding that the respondent wife failed to return back to her in-laws' home despite repeated requests and even after legal notice. The reason for not coming back to her husband's house is obvious from the order passed by the Court below on the date when the suit was fixed for reconciliation. The order passed by the Court below on 8-12-1995 is worth to be quoted hereunder:-

"8-12-95. Since the suit is fixed for reconciliation and the parties are present, I took up reconciliation matter. The petitioner-husband is ready to keep the respondent-wife but the latter says that since the petitioner is not doing any service, she does not want to live at her Sasural and that she will not live with the petitioner until he does some job. The petitioner says that he is a student and the respondent should cooperate with him so that he may prosecute, his study properly but this entreaty of the petitioner did not seem to have any effect on the respondent. It is, therefore, obvious that the reconciliation has failed." 

7. From the aforesaid order, it is clear that since beginning, the petitioner wife was not ready to live with her husband as he is not doing any service and is having no independent income. The Court below while passing the impugned order held that the opposite party husband has no independent source of income and is still prosecuting his study and is dependent on his father. "It is true mat even the husband has no independent source of income or earning, but is capable of earning being an able-bodied person lit enough to work is liable to maintain his wife and cannot deny payment of maintenance pendente lite. But in my considered opinion, in the facts and circumstances of the present case, this civil revision application is not fit to be allowed. As noticed above knowing fully well that the opposite party husband was prosecuting his study, the marriage was solemnized, but the petitioner refused to live in the matrimonial House on the ground that the opposite party husband is not doing any service. It is also evident that the opposite party repeatedly requested the petitioner to live with him in his parents house, but she refused to do so. Ultimately, the opposite party instituted the suit for restitution of conjugal right and the suit was decreed, but even then the petitioner did not resume conjugal right. In such circumstances, the decisions upon which the petitioner put reliance does not apply. 

8. It is well settled that the allowance of temporary alimony is not regarded as a matter of right, but is a matter within the judicious discretion of the Court and this Court in revision interferes only when the discretion has been perversely exercised by the Court below. 

9. Having regard to the facts and circumstances of the case, and particularly the finding arrived at by the Court below while disposing of the suit finally, I do not find any reason to interfere with the impugned order passed by the Court below.

10. This civil revision application is, accordingly, dismissed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register