LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sharma (-)     03 April 2011

Being cheated to get married

I got married last year. The marriage took place in Arya Samaj Mandir, as the boy's family couldn't come for a traditional marriage because of health reasons of his father. The boy had asked us to invite only 4-5 people from our family. From the boy's family, only his mother, sister and brother attended the ceremony. We met the family for the first time during the ceremony, as the boy had told us that all of them were out of the country and couldn't come back because his father was not well.

After the marriage we came to know that most of the things that the boy had shared with us regarding his family and himself were false. For instance, he told us that his family stays in Bangalore, but in reality they all have been staying in Lucknow. We didn'y verify the Bangalore address, as we were told that his parents are visiting his sister who stays in UK and who is married. Later, we came to know that the sister and the parents were all residing in Lucknow and the sister was unmarried. The boy didn't reveal that he has responsibility of getting his sister, brother and five cousins married. We didn't know that all of them stay together. Most of the other details that he gave were also false. Educational and professional details that he gave about himself and his siblings were also wrong.

Even though he has lied about everything and we are now aware of it, he is not ready to accept that he has done wrong. All he does is accuse me back. He pressurised me to leave my job and relocate to Lucknow saying that a girl should come to a boy's house and accept it as her own. Before marriage i had no idea that he will be asking me to stay there. I thought I will be either staying in US (where he works, which I doubt now) or in Bangalore (where his parents stay), and I found this convenient because I could work there. As I'm carrying his baby I cannot do much. Now, I feel cheated.

Is there anything that I can do legally? I doubt this marriage is going to last for long as its foundation is based on lies.

Please suggest.

Learning

6 Replies

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     03 April 2011

you have to prove the lies at court then may getrelief under sec 12(1)(c).

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/blog/show_post.asp?blog_posts_id=468

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     03 April 2011

very difficult and tedious task unless u have solid proofs, consult an expert lawyer or talk to him for mutual consent divorce which seems to be easiest way out.

share the nature of proofs regarding his lies.

Vikas Nagwan (Legal Consultant)     04 April 2011

if you can prove all these allegations then you may get your marriage declared void.. OR  you can file for divorce by mutual consent....

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     04 April 2011

@Sharma

The invisible facts as I observed through your passage is that you were dazzled by his big words about his money, job and rich family. Now when your dreams to live an affluent life have been trashed, it seems you are backlashing on the guy.

Though the guy's act was blemishful, your's own wasnt fair enough. Also to add, in a legal proceeding you would have to show that you made genuine efforts to find about the boy.

When we buy a anyt product from the market we take only branded ones or atleast asks the retailer about the authenticity of the product. You got married without even making madatory inquiries?? Its pertinent you were dazzled by his big-words about money but you are the one to be blamed for. Your own greed killed your dreams. Still you have a chance to save yourself cause you live in India where such facts are overlooked very easily and the boy could easily be blamed for his tricks. All the best!!

//peace

/Saurabh.V

A.P.Manoranjan (ADVOCATES & LEGAL ADVISORS)     04 April 2011

As you doubt about his working in US,file a case U/S 498A DV at Bangalore for desrting you and forcing you to leave the job.Don't leave the job at Bangalore.

AMPatnaik Advocate(AP)

Sharma (-)     29 April 2011

Recently, I found that he has been actively asking girls on matrimonial sites to call him and to send him snaps. He has been talking to those girls despite the fact that I'm pregnant. Can this proof be helpful? Please suggest.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register