LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     22 October 2010

dowry giving is not an offence

It is a good judgement and this is a well established fact that dowry get extracted from the bride party and also it well established fact that the rate of "GROOM" is open and being published in newspaper and magazines time to time.

Even a constable atract anywhere around 3 lakhs.

And there is no way out for bride side who goes for arrange party, apart from the dowry bridr side faces so many other difficulties/humiliation etc.

Tightening screw on groom side is very much necessary for better health of society.

Adv. Prabhakar sir I admire you in this regard that u spare your time for this social service. Just keep it up.

Learning

18 Replies

It is a good judgement and this is a well established fact that dowry get extracted from the bride party and also it well established fact that the rate of "GROOM" is open and being published in newspaper and magazines time to time.

Even a constable atract anywhere around 3 lakhs.

And there is no way out for bride side who goes for arrange party, apart from the dowry bridr side faces so many other difficulties/humiliation etc.

Tightening screw on groom side is very much necessary for better health of society.

Adv. Prabhakar sir I admire you in this regard that u spare your time for this social service. Just keep it up.

1 Like

gee (off)     22 October 2010

The indian judiciary favours only females in this country

Pl. give a big APPLAUSE to our GREAT INDIAN JUDICIARY SYSTEM for this type of favourism towards brides.

How the judges were convinced, not known?

If a person violates the traffic rule and causes accident in public/inconvenience, will the system allows him/her to escape without fine?

What is the necessity for the parents of the girl to go further forward when there is demand for dowry with the unenviable situation?

They should / must stop the marriage instead of going forward with that kind of persons to avoid further humiliation in the future course.  Are they(parents of the girl) are not enough matured to take a decision. 

1 Like

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     22 October 2010

Bravo OH 'innocent' abala men and women of LCI……..

hureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1 Like

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     22 October 2010

after a large................

again

hureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer ererererererererer

for-----------------------

Bravo OH 'innocent' abala men and women of LCI……..

1 Like

Jamai Of Law (propra)     22 October 2010

A good judgement......Honestly

Thanks to Prabhakar ji.

It would only promote justice and nothing else.

It wud encourage those to speak out about atrocities who were otherwise hesitant due to the clause 'giving dowry is also an offence'

When it becomes unbearable and unjustifiable and unending demands from husband's side, then and then only..... a father of daughter takes these measures to complain bcos he feels helpless and only as a last resort ......to get justice against atrocities commited against his innocent daughter.

1 Like

Jamai Of Law (propra)     22 October 2010

Even 'bribe givers shud be pardoned' in the same in the lights of the facts and circumstances of each case.

Nobody gives bribes voluntarily unless 'the bribe giver' has to circumvent unfavourable things into favourable, which otherwise are bound to go against him.

But many places people helplessly give bribes as it has become 'a routine' and de faco norm, and even genuine people are also harrassed as if bribe has become a commission/ziziya tax!!!!

(Guest)

Good judgement

Infact, Dowry originated in upper caste families as the wedding gift to the bride from herfamily. The dowry was later given to help with marriage expenses and became a form of insurance in the case that her in-laws mistreated her. Although the dowry was legally prohibited in 1961, it continues to be highly institutionalized. The groom often demands a dowry consisting of a large sum of money, farm animals, furniture, and electronics.

The practice of dowry abuse is rising in India. The most severe in "bride burning", the burning of women whose dowries were not considered sufficient by their husband or in-laws. Most of these incidents are reported as accidental burns in the kitchen or are disguised as suicide. It is evident that there exist deep rooted prejudices against women in India. Cultural practices such as the payment of dowry tend to subordinate women in Indian society.

Though prohibited by law in 1961, the extraction of DOWRY from the bride's family prior to marriage still occurs. When the dowry amount is not considered sufficient or is not forthcoming, the bride is often harassed, abused and made miserable. This abuse can escalate to the point where the husband or his family burn the bride, often by pouring kerosene on her and lighting it, usually killing her. The official records of these incidents are low because they are often reported as accidents or suicides by the family.

If any person, afterthe commencement of Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961, gives ortakes or abets the giving ortaking of dowry, he shall be punishable with imprisonmentforaterm which shall not be less than five years, and with fine which shall not be less than fifteen thousand rupees orthe amount of the value of such dowry, whichever is more. Provided further that where such presents are made by or on behalf of the bride or any person related to the bride, such presents are of a customary nature and the value thereof is not excessive having regard to the financial status of the person by whom, or on whose behalf, such presents are given.

If any person demands directly or indirectly, from the parents or other relatives or guardian of a bride or bridegroom, as the case may be, any dowry, he shall be punishable with imprisonmentforaterm which shall not be less than six months but which may extend to two years and with fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees.

1 Like

Taju Mian,

Even a general person’s comment/views are useful in any matter.

By the u have not mentioned, what type of professional u are?

Your reply/views too are useful and appreciable, be it right or wrong, since wrong too has many takers and for them at least keep your efforts up.

Anyway, Taju Mian I have one suggestion, just use decent language to express ur views, since female and decent members too visits this sites. so, do use filthy/vulgar language.

Adv. Sarveshji, Great sense of humour.

I am fan of your sense of humour.

(Guest)

Yes,Sarveshji, Great sense of humour

i am also fan of your sense of humour.

I think in a court he also create a humour 

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     23 October 2010

the above judgement is wrong, might be delhi high court given.

1 Like

if such things going on, time will come when, a murder woman will be acquited saying that she can not be punished as she is woman

1 Like

Jamai Of Law (propra)     23 October 2010

The decision is good and correct.

There is faul cry from dowry takers and they are just finger pointing on the loopholes in the statute and not rying understand the 'intensions' of bringing the statute.

The act of taking Dowry through loopholes shudn't be taken like a 'designated area for smoking' (just b'cos by law smoking can not be banned, and govt gets tax on it.)

Tomorrow even prostitutes, thiefs and robbers and murderes wud start demanding 'a designated area' to perform their acts/businesses and shamelessly be even ready to pay taxes to the government!!

" Repeatedly on this portal it has been canvassed that if dowry taking is an offence, the dowry giving is itself an offence under the dowry Act "

-  dowry taking is an offence, the dowry giving is also offence - under the dowry Act

is there any doubt?

2 Like

dec17 (student)     24 October 2010

sir i think this judgement gives releifs for some women  becasue in the same way as per the complainant my husband family also extracted dowry first they said we dont want dowry and later after marraige date was announced she keep on saying that iam buildng the house iam in thight position so inorder to save our prestiage wekeep on listening their and at last after cards disturbitation my mother in law said to cancel the marraige if theiir demands are not fulfilled inorder to save our orestiage and save marraige life on the demand of dowry we have given 3 lakhs and 400 gms of gold we have all the bills of gold but cash we dont have so what i should in this condition,and later he left away to nz saying he will send visa papers still now there is no communicationand icsme to know before lapse of one year they filed divorce against me by sending noticed to wrong aaddress and by mispersoantion they obtained expartee divorce any how in this amtter i got relief that court said my husband played fraud upon the court and mispersonation ad now the divorce was cancelled i came to now that he married another girl with no proofs in before some relativeswhat i should now here it clearly shows they trappedus so cleverly waht i should now how to get my dowry back

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register