LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Srinidhi kasthuri E   18 August 2022

Ancestral property issue -advise

I have an issue with my ancestral property in Chennai [Tamil Nadu]. My father died in 2010 and I have one younger brother and 2 sisters. The younger brother claimed one of his portions of the property from my father as a gift deed[Thanam settlement]. As I was in the military, I was not given a chance to claim the property. After 10 years, I have declared my 4/5 portion of property i.e, 920/1150 sq ft. My elder sister is denying giving her share of the property. I have proper and legal registration documents, Patta. In Patta, we have separated the portion of 230[remaining portion from my land] sq ft for my sister. While processing the building plan approval, they are saying the whole land is an undivided share of the property. They also informed us that they cannot proceed with the plan approval. Even though I have not received any objections.

So kindly advise how to overcome this issue.

Learning

1 Replies

Swadha   20 August 2022

Ancestral property refers to the property inherited by a Hindu from his or her father, father's father, or father's father's father by birth. It is basically the undivided property of a Hindu family of four generations. Property inherited from other relations is not considered to be ancestral property.

this link may help you to understand better 

https://blog.ipleaders.in/how-to-claim-ancestral-property-in-india-a-guide/#:~:text=Ancestral%20property%20refers%20to%20the,considered%20to%20be%20ancestral%20property. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register