LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Robert Rain   17 December 2021

I need help from a lawyer or insurance agent

Hello. I have my own catering agency. At one of the parties, which was organized by my team, several people were poisoned. As it turned out, a product's supplier deceived me and sold me spoiled products. People who have been poisoned by my food want to sue me. What should I do in such a situation?

Learning

4 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     17 December 2021

You are liable for criminal proceedings as well.

Aryan Raj   17 December 2021

In response to your query,

Food safety violations can cause a variety of illnesses in customers, including food poisoning, food allergies, choking, and other injuries. Every year, food safety breaches cause many businesses to lose a significant amount of revenues, if not their licence to operate.

One or more parties may be held accountable depending on the source of the food that resulted in the infringement. They could be held responsible for injuries resulting from improper food handling and/or food safety violations.

Food companies including manufacturers and distributors,Restaurants, food carts, food trucks, and other food servers and there are many more who can be held responsible. 

And sadly because you are the closest to the consumers you will have to be held responsible for negligence as you couldn't check if the product was expired before letting it go for the catering. But you can plead your innocence only if you can prove that it was nearly impossible for you to identify that the product supplier was selling spoiled products and that he did it intentionally despite the knowledge of the consequences. 

Regards,

Aryan Raj 

Shashi Dhara   17 December 2021

When they sue then engage advocate and defend ,wait until what action they take .

Dipro Hajra   18 December 2021

You will be held for negligence for providing adulterated food under 272, 273 IPC. If your food business is registered under FSSI Section 31. then it is not another offence. You have to prove in the honourable court that it was not possible on your part to identify that the food materials supplied to you was spoilt. It was solely, the fault of the supplying agency that supplied the food to you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register