Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

What should i do to cancel marriage when my wife is no more.

My wife was a nurse working in USA. Recently she has died due to corona. I have a 10 year old daughter too. She is still in USA, since there are many family members of my wife including her sisters and brothers, they will look after her. She is US citizen now.

I am in India and do I need to register my wife's death in local body? If so, do need an original death certificate? What about marriage, do I need to do anything to cancel it, if I am planning to re marry.
Please advice

Learning

5 Replies

ADVOCATE NITIN KAPOOR (Advocate)     01 May 2021

hello, 

You need not to do anything in order to cancel your marriage, if registered in India. You can obtain death certificate from municipal department. (conditions apply)

regards, 

NITIN KAPOOR 

Trivendra Kumar Sharma (Practicing Lawyer)     01 May 2021

Hi 

You need to declare your family in Family Register where death can be registered on oral declaration. Since you have a daughter, your daughter will be valid claimant of her part in your property on attaining majority if she so likes. Non declaration may cause trouble in later part of life especially if you have second marriage.

So far as death registration is concerned, it is governed by local laws, please consult local area Registrar of Birth & Death and follow the procedure as per their advice. 

(Guest)

Family register? Where do I find it?

Originally posted by : Trivendra Kumar Sharma
Hi 

You need to declare your family in Family Register where death can be registered on oral declaration. Since you have a daughter, your daughter will be valid claimant of her part in your property on attaining majority if she so likes. Non declaration may cause trouble in later part of life especially if you have second marriage.

So far as death registration is concerned, it is governed by local laws, please consult local area Registrar of Birth & Death and follow the procedure as per their advice. 

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     02 May 2021

Your wife death occurred in U.S.A. A family register is a civil registry used in many countries to track information of a genealogical or family-centric legal interest. find out in U.S.A. states.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Rama chary Rachakonda
Your wife death occurred in U.S.A. A family register is a civil registry used in many countries to track information of a genealogical or family-centric legal interest. find out in U.S.A. states.

That is not applicable in India, right

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register