Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

T.N.REDDY (Propreitor)     10 November 2020

advocate office vs electricity meter.

Sir,

I am an advocate and doing practice in taxation from rented residential house (it is residence cum office), which is having a domestic electricity meter. But, whenever the person comes from the electricity department to serve the electricity bill, he says, no, no you are doing commercial activity, so you should go for commercial meter, by seeing the computers and printers in my office.

So, I heard that doing advocacy/legal practice does not amount to commercial activity, hence, the office where such activity is carried on, it can be with domestic electricity meter. Is it right, if so, can I have relevant section and Act, so that I can rely on him. Kindly advice.

Learning

4 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     10 November 2020

S.C has ruled in civil appeal no 1065/2000 decided in 2005, that legal profession is not a commercial activity.Running of office by an advocate in a building can not be termed as commercial activity.Electric rates fixed for commercial user can not be charged.Various H.C has also ruled similar views.

1 Like

Shashi Dhara   10 November 2020

If they force issue legal notice that you are  not binded .

1 Like

Suri.Sravan Kumar (senior)     11 November 2020

Advocate office does not come under commercial activity. You can tell him that you will pay the charges under domestic category only.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     12 November 2020

Very well explained and advised by experts, I fully agree with them. Earlier (till 2019) in Delhi electricity billing of Lawyer's office was being done as commercial, which is "out" of the ambit of commercial activity after lot of litigation.

Generally same laws apply through out the territory of India. If you are being charged on commercial rate challenge and contest it.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register