Share More

Francis Thomas   19 September 2020

harassment

what is the section for s*xual harassment

Learning

3 Replies

Saguna   19 September 2020

Hi

Through the Criminal Law(Amendment) Act,2013 Section 354 A was added to the Indian Penal Code.

It contains what Sexual Harassment consist of and what are the provisions for the penalties. Penalties range from one to three years imprisonment and/or a fine. 

According to (Section 354A IPC), Sexual harassment is the:

• Unwelcome touching or other physical contact
  • Asking or demanding s*x or any other s*xual activity
  • Making remarks which are of a s*xual nature
  • Showing p*rnographic material which may include videos, magazines, books etc.

There is a separate law on s*xual harassment at workplaces - The Sexual Harassment of women at workplace ( prevention, prohibition and redressal) Act and Rules 2013. There are provisions in the main criminal law (the Indian Penal Code or IPC) which are different from the special law on s*xual harassment:

• The IPC is not limited to s*xual harassment at the workplace, but punishes such harassment done anywhere.
  • The IPC makes it possible to file a criminal complaint if you have been s*xually harassed, while the special law gives you the option of seeking civil remedies and damages, involving your office administration.

Hope this information will help you. For any other query, please feel free to write to us.

Regards

Saguna Patheja 

Francis Thomas   20 September 2020

thank you sir / mam for your response

Narinderjit singh Tiwana   24 September 2020

Respected Panel members, I had sent my querry reg.Ex-parte Stay on 20.9.12 but no guidance is coming forth till date. Pls. advise me accordingly w/o any further delay as delay is causing undue daily loss. Thanx in anticipation pls.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register