LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KK   12 August 2020

Daughter’s share in property

My grandfather was a self made man. He has two sons. He has two houses and he has REGISTERED (when he was alive) one house each to both of his sons. My uncle has one son and one daughter. My uncle wants to give his house to his son and not his daughter. My uncle says since the house was registered by his father (and my grandfather) when he was alive, he can give the property to anyone. My cousin is claiming since the property was given to her father by her grandfather it is a family property and she has a share in it. Can anyone clarify about it?

Learning

7 Replies

D Manjula   12 August 2020

your uncle get the said property from his father, it is his obsolete property he may provide anybody to whom he wishes.
1 Like

KK   12 August 2020

Thanks for the clarification madam. 

1. Since the property has been registered, my cousin cannot claim rights to the property. That I have understood.

2. One more small doubt madam. What if my grandfather wrote a will saying that only after his death his son will get the property. In that case, can the granddaughter can claim rights to house since there is only a will and not a registration?

D Manjula   12 August 2020

will is in favour of his son after death of your grandfather, grand can't claim..

Niti S   13 August 2020

I have questions

K Rajasekharan (Advocate)     15 August 2020

An ancestral property will lose the character as ancestral when it is divided among the heirs – the two sons here.

So even if the property of the grandfather was ancestral it has lost the character of ancestral property when it was divided among his sons. So the son (your uncle) received it as something equivalent to a self acquired property.

So he can register it to his son without giving it to the daughter. It is no longer an ancestral property and hence the inheritance will be according to the law in force now – for Hindus HSA.

If the property owned by the grandfather was ancestral he cannot make a will as it is not his own, but it should be divided among the heirs.

1 Like

KK   16 August 2020

One doubt sir. How was there a division in property?

My grandfather had two houses. One (Say House A) was given to my father while another one (Say House B) was given to my uncle. 

House B was bought my grandfather way back in 1960s. He has registered in my uncle name recently. The house hasn’t been divided.

K Rajasekharan (Advocate)     16 August 2020

Normally when there is dispute between parties regarding division, one party will approach the court with a partition suit. Then the court will assess the situation and make a division by appointing an advocate as its representative to do so.

Since a house cannot be divided, one party will take the house and he will give the other party half of the assessed value of the house.

If parties are ready to divide the property on mutually agree terms, there is no involvement of the court. They can prepare a draft agreement of terms mutually arrived at and register it as a partition deed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register