LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajiv Bahl   25 July 2020

right to information

My friend has been implicated in a false case based on a complaint which he was not shown, now he is on bail, he filed rti to Delhi Police asking for copy of that complaint. police has refused to give him the copy of complaint saying that it would only be shown with charge sheet, can he file a first appeal against it.

Learning

10 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     26 July 2020

Originally posted by : Rajiv Bahl
My friend has been implicated in a false case based on a complaint which he was not shown, now he is on bail, he filed rti to Delhi Police asking for copy of that complaint. police has refused to give him the copy of complaint saying that it would only be shown with charge sheet, can he file a first appeal against it.

You are abusing the resources of this Legal Forum and Misleading & Fooling the experts over here, BY YOUR REPEATED QUERIES ON THE SAME ISSUE. Kindly Avoid.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     26 July 2020

Yes.  Anyone can file the first appeal under Life or Liberty clause and Police must respond within 24 hours.   As a victim, your friend is having such rights.  Wait for 3 days after receipt of such First Appeal by First Appellate Authority and go for Second Appeal to CIC immediately.

Rajiv Bahl   26 July 2020

experts here neither know crpc nor rti

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     26 July 2020

Originally posted by : Rajiv Bahl
experts here neither know crpc nor rti

1. Apprehensively you know all about CrPC and RTI   !!!!

2. IF above is true THEN why ask so many repeated questions ?

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

i have not got any relevant reply for my query, om and hemant ji you only copy and paste crpc and call yourself experts and fool people here. the grapes are not sour, they are rotten. Fooling people is the biggest crime.

aap log chichore hon expert nahin, ilaaj ki aapko jaroorat hain.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 July 2020

Initially I felt like replying out of experience in RTI but have decided to withhold my views.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     28 July 2020

@Thiru Sudhir Kumar,

The replies/guidance provided by experts is not meant only for those who posts such query.   Many members who study the replies can learn out of the experience.  Because a member made some comments, others need not suffer.  Please post such guidance for the use of all other members.

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 July 2020

Current expression of the querist compels me to share my views.

First part of the question raised by you about getting the complaint.

As far as RTI is concerned it applied only on that information which is "held" by public body.  Yes this is one such information but at the point the disclosure can be more of less successfully  denied on the pretext of impeding investigation.

when chargesheet is made then it is no more "held" by public body and is put in open domain and copy given to the accused and the provision exists (since 1883) much before anyone could even dream about RTI Act. Without disclosure of this information to the accused the right to defence does not commence.

Second issue is copy of FIR. 

Generally text of the complaint is entered in FIR.  Again it is also not an information "held" by public authority so not subject to RTI Act.  It is information available in public domain.  Many states are putting FIR on internet.  Anyhow provision exists in sending copy of FIR to the Ilaqa Magistrate and from that point onwards it becomes information available in public domain.

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     28 July 2020

@Sudhir Kumar--Agreed. but these denials may not deter applicants going for the first appeal and then for the second appeal.

Mere denial of information stating that exemption under Sec. 8 (1) is not proper, and as held in umpteen decisions the PIO must state as to what way the providing of such information impedes the investigation is more important.

It is absolutely true to state that once it is uploaded the SPIO is not the custodian of that information, in view of this applicant must seek certified copy as this is one form of information that can not be accessed from websites, and PIO is bound to provide information in the form it was solicited.

The query was Can he file the FIRST APPEAL against it:

The simple reply is: YES.

Every citizen is entitled as a right to go for the first appeal and second appeal and there is no bar for the laid down process/rights under the RTI Act. and appeals are prescribed ways of getting information if there is a denial.(Without justification denial has to be treated as malafide)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register