LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shining Hope   01 July 2020

POCSO Act : A genuine inquiry

Hi...so i read this news few days back and it read that two girls...one being minor got married to each other. Police took action against the girl who was a major under POCSO Act. So..my question is..girls got married with their consent that means there is no sign of Sexual abuse which is the essence of this ACT. So...Kya police ka action lena wrong nhi hua. ??

P.S.- Sir/Ma'am..before you decide to brand this query a spam...i think such queries should also be given a chance as it has been asked in a general concern. peace out 😇

Learning

1 Replies

Yashita Gupta   08 July 2020

Hi!

The action of the police is justified as the Section 2(d) of the POCSO Act defines any person under the age of 18 as a 'child'. This Act provides justice without any gender discrimination as every person under the age of 18 are incompetent to give their consent. Hence, any person involved in any s*xual act covered under the act and the victim involved is under the age of 18, the offence is punishable as it is considered to be a violation of this Act.

The Act does not recognise consensual s*xual acts between two minors or between a minor and a major and the consent is immaterial in such cases.

The Act imposes minimum imprisonment of 10 years for having s*x with a minor.

Although the Madras High Court had suggested on excluding consensual s*x of people above 16 years of age from the POCSO Act or reduce the punishment after looking at the mitigating factors.

I hope this answers your query.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register