LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sabhyasachi.K   15 May 2020

My wife (living with her parents) now gives suicide threats

Please, I am genuinely worried for my daughter, myself and my parents. My wife and I have been married since 2013 and living with my parents ever since. Within a year of our marriage, she started demanding that I buy her a flat, but I did not want to abandon my parents. My parents and I even suggested that we build her living quarters on the first floor of our house if she needed more space, but she denied. Ever since, she grew very contentious, and ill-treated me on several occasions. (Shouting, name-calling in front of my parents, maids.) Ever since our child was born (January 2018, through an incredibly expensive IVF procedure for which I supported her financially as well as in choice,) my wife started making threats that she will leave me and take away our daughter. The first time she left was in August, 2018. She went back to her parents house and took our daughter and even our dog that we had adopted after marriage: the reason for her anger being her sleep got disturbed at 8 am in the morning because we had some guests over at the time. She shouted and had an argument with my father, who called her brother in turn to tell him that she ought to refrain from treating my parents in such a way. Her brother in turn insisted that she leave the house and that's what she did. She came back 20 days after realising she wanted to live with me. Then 6-7 months after she leaves again with our baby, and went to her brother's flat (which was empty) and tried to live there for a week before again changing her mind again and coming back to live with me. (Later I found out her parents even took her to a Psychiatrist for reasons she didn't disclose to me.) Then during the lockdown, again she had a terrible outburst and went back to live with her parents, taking away our daughter again. This time, I had even given in and decided that I shall look for rented accommodation and talked to several property dealers. I also went to her society twice to meet our daughter. She asked me to take our dog back for a month, and within two days (i.e. yesterday) she has another outburst (purely because I'd not texted her good morning for two days,) demanding that I give her the dog back. For the first time, I told her NO. She had given me suicide threats several times before, but for the first time she swore on our child that she will kill herself if I don't do as she says. I warned her I will report to the police, so she came outside my house and started shouting and creating a scene in front of the neighbors (who were watching everything as if it was the most entertaining thing they'd seen,) and I had no choice but to give the dog away. I have decided that I do not want to be with this traumatizing woman anymore. But absolutely clueless as to how I should go about this especially during the lockdown. Every conversation and text message I have stored as evidence (including all her abuses, threats of suicide etc.) I fear for my child, and I am confused how to proceed legally. She has drained me emotionally and mentally, and I just want to be out of this situation now. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Learning

3 Replies

Salil Dabke   16 May 2020

Firstly file complaint against her in the local police station and mentioned all the above incidents and file private domestic violence case against her with grounds of threatening for suicide

sm.calcutta (Advocate)     16 May 2020

Hello!

it appears that the best option is to get a divorce. you can file for a divorce on grounds of cruelty before the Ld. District Court (family court) having jurisdiction.

You may contact me with details for further consultation!

Email: smadvocate.calcutta@gmail.com

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 May 2020

whether 7 years completed after marriage.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register