Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Does computer generated bank statements do not need sign ?

These days banks do not put any signs or stamp on the computer generated statements and entries in the passbooks which are just printed by an ordinary printer.before computer/printer era they used to do all the entries by hand,thus customer had an adequete proof of all the transaction and other details on the passbooks.

HSBC bank gives only a printout to the depositers(without any sign or stamp of the bank official) which can be printed very easily by anyone whosoever has some basic knowledge of Paint or Adobe photoshop etc.

I wonder,should not they be challenged for playing with Public's trust ?

Are not they doing all this because none could claim if gets cheated ?

Please suggest.

Learning

11 Replies

Devajyoti Barman (Advocate)     02 July 2010

After the recent amendments of the Indian Evidence Act and coming of the Information Technology Act , the original print outs from the system of any organisation or the individual is treated as a valid piece of evidene unless it is proved to be the one which is forged or tampered with.

Hence the banks do not feel the necessity to authenticate its computer generated statements further.

(Guest)

Sir,what if I enter a deposit of Rs. Five lakhs in my passbook with my printer,though I have not deposited that amount ever?

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     02 July 2010

Law is just common sense.Since every thing can not be provided in law so assumptions are made. In your case suppose you have made entry for any amount why five lack only. After putting the entry it should be of some use to you. So the moment you want to utilise this entry you have to answer and there you will be trapped., because there will not be corresponding entry in bank records and no other proof of slips deposits etc.

1 Like

(Guest)

Shashi,what if I have printed a deposit slip of Rs. five lakhs also as I have cited an example of HSBC bank ?

And

In my case any entry I will put that can be questioned but only when it is proved that I have made that entry myself until then every entry is valid and useful for me otherwise why it is in the passbook .

Basic question is such entries without any signs or stamps of banks can be very problematic,public can not prove anything if some thing mischievous happens and even for banks it will become difficult to prove that someone has done these entries without actual transactions as they themselves are using this method of not putting any sign or stamp on the receipts.

Not only law but every science(even rocket science) is common sense but this common sense is not found in human beings commonly--sorry to say.

AA RAMAKRISHNAN (SR. ADVOCATE)     04 July 2010

Dear Member:

A bank statement is not an authenticated one if it is not signed.  For general purpose,  for the purpose of  knowlege  statement can be relied upon since you know the source and it can be read with other documents of authentication.

As far as making entry/alterations in the pass book and claiming it as a genuine you must have heard about cheating, forgery etc. So jail is not far away from you.

Thanks

AAR krishnan

Basavaraj (Asst, Manager-Legal)     06 July 2010

yes i agree with mem

Raghavendra Bhat (Article Assistant)     07 July 2010

hello everyboby

in such case the person can avail any loans in any other branches by producing the fake deposit certificate..

what is the legal status of that .....

(Guest)

Mr.Madhu, I just now read your other thread advocating Thumb Impression instead of Hand Signature on Cheques. But in this thread you are strongly canvassing for Hand Signature of the banker on the Statements. I like your strange thinking but I don't understand your strange thinking.

Ravikant Soni (LAWYER IN JAIPUR)     12 August 2011

A certificate is requiered as to truthfulness of such document under sect 65A Evi Act.

RAJU O.F., (Advocate)     13 August 2011

For producing the bank statement in any court of law, the authentication by the bank official is necessary.

I have come across a case of takeover of loan from one bank into another, wherein the borrower managed to prepare inflated statement of accounts, putting the turnover ten fold, using the said bank's stationery and availing a higher limit of loan from the second bank.  When the loan account slipped into NPA  within few months, the bank investigated and found out the fraud and the borrower and also the officer who sanctioned the later loan are in trouble.

R Nandy (N.A)     10 October 2011

A statement without seal and signature in every page is not acceptable to the Passport office to issue a passport. Secondly,some foreign embassies(UK) do not accept a statement without seal and signature to issue a visa. I don't know of the legal position but common sense tells me that a printed statement can very easily be forged and there is no way for the holder of a printed statement to prove that the statement is authentic in case of a dispute with a bank.So for all practical purposes a unsealed statement is useless.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register