LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Paul M   06 February 2020

Car shipping to India

Do I need a lawyer when I receive my car from usa in India shipped via ship.

Learning

2 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     06 February 2020

Why should you need a lawyer? you need a customs clerance agency...

Siddhartha Kundoo   06 February 2020

Respected Sir,

1. It is possible to import cars from the United States to India. Here is the process Find the car you want to import: Possible sources are from car dealers, auction, or individual sellers. Note that all used cars can be exported but for new cars, the manufacturer may or may not allow you to export the car.

2. Inspect and buy the car: If you are buying the car without physically seeing it and test driving, its probably a good idea to get it inspected by an inspection company. Buying the car involves sending the payment and signing the paperwork.

3. Transport the car to the nearest shipping terminal or warehouse for your freight forwarder. The freight forward is the company that loads and ships the car for you and handles the export paperwork.

The regulations for importing used and new foreign cars, motorcycles, scooters and other non-commercial vehicles into India are quite strict. For example, new foreign vehicles can be imported only through the Indian customs ports in Mumbai (Nhava Sheva), Chennai and Kolkata. Used foreign vehicles can be brought in only through the Indian customs port in Mumbai.

4. Ship the car: This will be handled by the freight forwarder. In order to do this, they need the Bill of Sale and title free of any outstanding liens.

5. Once a car arrives at your destination port, hire a custom clearance agent to handle the clearance process. Duties in India are as follows:

MFN Duty: 125%

Landing charges (1% CIF)

Countervailing duty (24% (Cost, Insurance, Freight, and Pier or Docking charges + Landing charges)

CESS (3% (Duty + Countervailing duty)

Additional Countervailing Duty (4% (Cost, Insurance, Freight, and Pier or Docking charges + Landing charges + Countervailing duty + CESS).

Regards,

Siddhartha Kundoo

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register