Sharing government id with a private company outside india

Hi all,

I work as freelancer on a freelancing platform (Upwork). This private freelancing platform or company is registered outside India. Now it is asking for sharing of government ID (PAN card, Aadhar card, voter id, or passport) as a part of identity verification purpose. I am a bit sceptical about sharing a secure government ID as it is not even registered in India and I have no idea about its security features. Is there any Indian government law which prohibits that foreign company from asking me to share a government ID? If so can someone please send me the link also which I can forward to that company so that they understand the issue?

Thanks,

Ritam

Hello Ritam Biswas

Don't worry there is no risk to share your id to Upwork.But keep in mind to share less details Id like (voter id) because it does not include your bank details in detail.

So you can give Voter Id,without any doubt.

And by the way don't worry Upwork is USA based registered company,if any fault arise you can complain to USA registrar of company.Find the below details in given link 

Link for details = https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1627475/000119312518267594/d575528ds1.htm

Hope you like the answer and it's help you little-bit.

Don't worry about that, you can share your id's with them, even usally ask for verification,else they will block your account from upwork.

Just don't share your other personal info, like bank details.

Thank you1

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum

LAWyersclubindia Menu