LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rakeshbhai   29 October 2019

Landlord not accepting rent - surat

I am from Surat, Gujarat.  I am staying at rented premises since December 1989.  Since last few I was paying my rent through net banking.  In January 2019, my landlord called me up to say that a) his bank account was sealed by the Income Tax Dept and he has not received the rent since 6 months, b) he had sold the property to some Imranbhai and that I should pay rent to the said Imranbhai.

I asked him to give me a notice in writing so that I could take appropriate steps, but he has not complied with my request.

Now, not having paid the rent for many months, I would like to deposit the rent with the Rent Controller in Surat.  But I don't know how :)  So I request the members here to guide me about paying the rent in Surat so that I am not considered a defaulter.

Thanks.

Learning

8 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 October 2019

Send demand drafts to his notified address by Registered post and preserve the envelopes returned with you.  Let the old landlord inform about the sale and the new landlord claim with the same documents like valid title deed and mutation in his name.  Clearly mention in your letter the past history.

1 Like

Rakeshbhai   30 October 2019

Thanks, Om Prakash, but the problem is that the said Imranbhai has not provided me with any proof of ownership / sale deed, and I can't acknowledge him as the new owner without the documents.

If possible, tell me how to deposit the rent with the rent controller, Surat.

Thanks, GLN Prasad. I tried communicating with the old owner through post, but not only did they refuse to accept the communication, they also compromised the postman so I didn't even receive the refusal and acknowledgement.  Apparently I am fighting ghosts :)

If possible, tell me how to deposit the rent with the rent controller, Surat.

Thanks.

Spare a few minutes and meet the rent controller in person for such details. (Receiving acknowledgment is not necessary now, as returning of a closed envelope as refused is the evidence, and delivery of envelope can be tracked in indiapost online website)

1 Like

Originally posted by : G.L.N. Prasad

Spare a few minutes and meet the rent controller in person for such details. (Receiving acknowledgment is not necessary now, as returning of a closed envelope as refused is the evidence, and delivery of envelope can be tracked in indiapost online website)

I don't know where is the Rent Controller in Surat.  That is what I would like to know.  I don't know if Gujarat has any provision for rent controller at all !! Hence seeking guidance in this regard.

Thanks again, brother.

Sir,

It takes just a minute to search in google with key words Rent Controller, Surat.

1 Like

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     31 October 2019

Apart from the above expert views I would like to add this. In India the law has recognize different kinds of Lease and this case is givern by the principle that a person cannot assign his obligations without the consent or authority of those to whom they are owning. Under the Law of evidence there is a persumtions of relationship of landlord and tennant and in your case the landlord is not denying that but asking you to pay to the new landlord. Accordingly, the Landlord, the transferee and the lesee should determine your new lease period etc.

1 Like

Rakeshbhai   31 October 2019

Originally posted by : G.L.N. Prasad
Sir,

It takes just a minute to search in google with key words Rent Controller, Surat.

I tried that first.  That's how I came across this website :)

There was no exact answer on google.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register