LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohan Rochwani   18 September 2019

Daughters right in fathers self aquired property

My grand father acquired a proerty in 1950. He has 3 sons and 5 daughters. Both grand father and grand mother have died in 1980s. Their is no legal will. Does daughters have any legal right to my grand parents property as per hindu law.

Learning

4 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     18 September 2019

Yes daughters have the right in the property.

Mohan Rochwani   18 September 2019

I read it somewhere that as per SC verdicts and succession law amendment in 2005, if parents have died before 2005 then daughters do not have legal right in parental property in absence of will.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     19 September 2019

Supreme Court bench said the amended Hindu Succession Act of 2005 stipulated that a daughter would be a 'coparcener' since birth, and have the 'same rights and liabilities' as a son.

With the coming of the Hindu succession act in 2005, daughters got equal rights in their ancestral assets. Last week, the Supreme Court clarified that the law applies to all daughters, irrespective of whether they were born before or after the coming of the law.

https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/supreme-court-clears-that-women-born-before-hindu-succession-act-2005-also-have-ancestral-rights-1162549-2018-02-06

1 Like

Mohan Rochwani   19 September 2019

Thank you Sohail for responses. It really helps. You mean there is no impact on property right of daughters even if father died before 2005. Also it applies to property bought by father himself (not given by ancestors). Please advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register